PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had this happen?

Homey
07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
See if anyone out there can help me trouble shoot this ignition problem? During the heat race last night kid all but lost it but did not lift, saved it back up the track and drove over the front end of my car. (Hard shot) Came in, crew accessed the damage and went back out. Soon as I stood into it car had bad miss under throttle. Came in, went through and looked for loose wires, put charger on battery, checked grounds and all appear to be fine. Went out in feature on parade lap and still breaking up (BAD). MSD distribor, 6AL, Blaster 2 coil. ANy ideas on where to start checking?

Thanks Martin

charcoal01
07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
See if anyone out there can help me trouble shoot this ignition problem? During the heat race last night kid all but lost it but did not lift, saved it back up the track and drove over the front end of my car. (Hard shot) Came in, crew accessed the damage and went back out. Soon as I stood into it car had bad miss under throttle. Came in, went through and looked for loose wires, put charger on battery, checked grounds and all appear to be fine. Went out in feature on parade lap and still breaking up (BAD). MSD distribor, 6AL, Blaster 2 coil. ANy ideas on where to start checking?

Thanks Martin

You check your timing yet?

Homey
07-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Car idles and cranks normal and 3 times in a couple of laps could get it to pull through the miss. Did not check it with light but distibtor hold down and location was tight.

charcoal01
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
are you on alky or gas? does the car start to cut out at a certain rpm? only under load? if you killed the motor i guess its possible you fouled a plug. if you have a good set of plugs i'd try there, make sure to check your timing also. then start going to the potentially bigger problems, ie msd box, coil, etc.

sj valley dave
07-13-2011, 12:49 PM
If you took a really hard shot, I'd throw another coil and box on the car. Check your timing and look at your cap and rotor...Just std trouble shooting deals. We got slammed one night and it broke something in the box. Chased the issue for a couple of races, put another box on it and problem went away...

JustAddDirt
07-13-2011, 03:21 PM
check the carb needle and seat, and the float evel. might have jammed the needle and seat open and causing motor to flood fouling plugs.

texas racer
07-13-2011, 06:37 PM
ck your rotor and the buttons in your cap MSD caps are pron to have coil button problems always carry a spare cap.

BB1
07-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I had a tach go bad last year and it caused a higher rpm miss. It was an autometer

cavemod
07-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Did the headers get any damage??leak at headers will make it pop and bang and miss also.also see if u still got a good ground from engine to frame.

Egoracing
07-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Also if the engine moved and lost ground if it is not grounded properly.

ep33510
07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Since your talking High deceleration due to the shunt, I would swap the coil & MSD box. We have seen many issues with that very simalar problem with the Blaster ll coils that short out windings. Then that usually takes the MSD box with it, you be amazed how much stuff can move under Hard Accel & Decel. Another possible idea that I have seen personally, swap out the Coil wire. Under a hard shock like yours on a customers car we found that the coil wire in the boot connected to the coil had been stretched and damaged. Under load the spark energy was leaking out to the outside sheathing and finding ground causing popping and missing. When you get past this trauma do yourself a favor and get a better matching coil for you MSD 6al. Either a Carquest FD-478 or a Autozone C-839, these are epoxy filled coils and are faster switching. And they can be mounted in any direction, and they do not heat soak and lose output like the Blaster ll. The last benefit, for usually under $35.00 you can snag one from you local parts house. If I think of other things I will post them...... Good Luck with the quest!

Pat Collins

Techwest Racing Services
www.techwestracing.com

Homey
07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
No header damage of motor movement. Check float levels at track. check all grounds. Unhooked tack lead from 6AL box before feature. Has to be in ignition. Did not get a chance to touch car last night. Will start trouble shooting it tonight. Will post what ever I find is the issue.

Thanks
Shawn

Egoracing
07-14-2011, 02:36 PM
No header damage of motor movement. Check float levels at track. check all grounds. Unhooked tack lead from 6AL box before feature. Has to be in ignition. Did not get a chance to touch car last night. Will start trouble shooting it tonight. Will post what ever I find is the issue.

Thanks
Shawn

If you hit ANY at all the motor moved, it may be back in the same place BUT it did move. The mounts will flex and twist and return to normal and there will be no visable signs.

mod54n
07-14-2011, 08:36 PM
I'd also check ignition switch and the main power switch. Have had both go out and both caused high end misses.

stock car driver
07-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Since your talking High deceleration due to the shunt, I would swap the coil & MSD box. We have seen many issues with that very simalar problem with the Blaster ll coils that short out windings. Then that usually takes the MSD box with it, you be amazed how much stuff can move under Hard Accel & Decel. Another possible idea that I have seen personally, swap out the Coil wire. Under a hard shock like yours on a customers car we found that the coil wire in the boot connected to the coil had been stretched and damaged. Under load the spark energy was leaking out to the outside sheathing and finding ground causing popping and missing. When you get past this trauma do yourself a favor and get a better matching coil for you MSD 6al. Either a Carquest FD-478 or a Autozone C-839, these are epoxy filled coils and are faster switching. And they can be mounted in any direction, and they do not heat soak and lose output like the Blaster ll. The last benefit, for usually under $35.00 you can snag one from you local parts house. If I think of other things I will post them...... Good Luck with the quest!

Pat Collins

Techwest Racing Services
www.techwestracing.com

Is that the same 5.0 mustang coil you recomended to me 5-6 years ago? Ive been running that in my cars and wondering if theres better now?

thanks Jeff

ep33510
07-14-2011, 10:46 PM
stock car driver

Yes, the current version is still a valid. They have improved the technology of the winding and the coil continues to be the Best Match to the 6AL boxes. Have a good evening Jeff!

Pat Collins

Techwest Racing Services

stock car driver
07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
stock car driver

Yes, the current version is still a valid. They have improved the technology of the winding and the coil continues to be the Best Match to the 6AL boxes. Have a good evening Jeff!

Pat Collins

Techwest Racing Services

ok thanks.