PDA

View Full Version : Crown Vic ------ GM metric ?????????

T-Town
07-14-2011, 11:18 AM
How much wider is the crown vic compared to a metric chassis.
How does it help when you put nova lowers on a metric chassis. One guy on here
said something about swapping the lower a-frames when using nova lowers on a metric chassis. Why????
I concidering building a car for asphalt, wheel base can be 106" / frame height 6".
Shorting the frame on won't be a problem if it needs it.

dirttrackrocker
07-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Not sure about the Crown Vic. But, the Nova Lowers on metric make it an inch wider and puts the wheels an inch forward. The reason you have to swap them is the Nova's were rear steer, meaning the steering linkage was behind the cross member, so by swapping sides it puts the spindles in the correct position to line up the steering linkage in the front of the cross member.

bushracing67
07-16-2011, 09:14 AM
nova lowers are about double that, 3-4" wider total, and move the spindle fwd, took my wb on a stock frame to about 110"

stock car driver
07-16-2011, 09:44 AM
How much wider is the crown vic compared to a metric chassis.
How does it help when you put nova lowers on a metric chassis. One guy on here
said something about swapping the lower a-frames when using nova lowers on a metric chassis. Why????
I concidering building a car for asphalt, wheel base can be 106" / frame height 6".
Shorting the frame on won't be a problem if it needs it.

Camaro or chevelle 73/77 clip is what I would use for pavement. Depends on your rules for the rear suspension, camaro with leaf if it has to be stock or chevelle and 3 link if allowed.

6 inch frame height is really really high for pavement racing. I hope your rules are forcing you to run a tire thas 93-93 inches around?

dirttrackrocker
07-16-2011, 12:47 PM
nova lowers are about double that, 3-4" wider total, and move the spindle fwd, took my wb on a stock frame to about 110"
Sorry, I meant an inch on each side. But, your right it's closer to an inch and a half each side.

hot_rod
07-17-2011, 11:54 AM
If you where to put Nova Lowers on a metric frame, would have to do any cutting of the mounts for relocation or will they already fit?

stock car driver
07-17-2011, 02:16 PM
If you where to put Nova Lowers on a metric frame, would have to do any cutting of the mounts for relocation or will they already fit?

5 inch springs
move upper a arm mounts
move wt jack bolt if you have one
move shock mounts

this is not a task easily done on a used already built race car.

for pavement a camaro with ford lowers if youve gotta have more width is the way to go. i ran camaro with ford lower on rf only and relocated the lower mounts to keep the wheel base square as the ford lower moves the lower ball joint back 7/8. ford lowers only add about 3/4 per side unless you bush and offset the lower ball joint also.

dirttrackrocker
07-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Keep in mind also that if you use Nova Lowers it will lengthen your wheelbase.

racingford
07-24-2011, 11:04 PM
crown vic is no less than 63 inches maybe 63.5 and heavy

racingford
07-24-2011, 11:05 PM
and did i mention tuff