PDA

View Full Version : MSD Distributor and box

jrkracing54
07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
I thought I read on here one that if you crossed the wires from the box to the distributor that the engine would still run just back fire and pop. Anyone know if this is true or not? I finally got my new engine running tonight but it was popping and backfiring a little. I didn't have time to switch them. I'm planning on doing it tomorrow if this is true. I had to put new ends on both the box and distributor so it is possible I got one backwards. thanks for any help. John 1*

C10
07-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Yes it is very true, drove all the way from Iowa to Dalton Georgia, had a terrible running car. Called our engine builder and he suggested switching the green and purple wires and it fixed it right up. Give it a shot, you will know right away, the huge indicator is when you put a timing light on the car, if they are wrong, with a dial light the marks wont seem to "roll around the balancer" as you turn the dial. The other is the obvious popping at idle, glowing exhaust and a very sick throttle response.
I have ran into 4 boxes with this issue over the last 3 years, not sure if its the wiring in the box leads or the dizzy.

jrkracing54
07-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks, I thought I had heard that. I'll try it today on my lunch break. John 1*