PDA

View Full Version : Did I ruin my torque converter?

Jeffery
07-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Had an incident where my motor got hot, lost all the coolant and overheated and burnt out my powerglide. The powerglide had two good seasons of racing on it without incident. I had the transmission completely gone through and rebuilt, but the builder gave me my old torque converter back. I put the old converter back in per his advice and now my transmission feels slushy. Shifting from low to high is no longer chirping the tires and the shift is long and drawn out. This is all just driving around the house, I have yet to put it on the track because something just isn’t right.

Is it possible that I need a new torque converter? Would overheating the transmission hurt the converter I had in? The transmission builder said everything inside was burnt up.

Am I wasting my time putting a new converter in? Had this tranny in and out too many times now and I'd like to get it right.

Dirtman29
07-16-2011, 12:05 AM
If everything in the trans was 'burnt up', then you most likely got some of that 'burnt up' fluid in your old convertor as well, and now a few qts. are likely in your rebuilt tranny. Put a new convertor in & flush all the old fluid out & refill with fresh fluid.