PDA

View Full Version : 78 - 88 monte frame different than others?

3_7's
07-16-2011, 12:07 PM
is the monte carlo frame different than the olds, pontiac, buick frames? i have a '80 buick frame and i bought the new center link from speedway that helps the geo. and it is wider than my stock one. it lists it as GM full size and 78-88 mone carlo. i always understood that monte, cutlass, regal, grand prix were all the same frame. i guess not. thanks for the help.

dirttrackrocker
07-16-2011, 12:40 PM
The reason it corrects the geometry is it shortens the tie rods. So it is wider, but the pitman and idler arms should still be in the same location.

stock car driver
07-16-2011, 02:00 PM
The reason it corrects the geometry is it shortens the tie rods. So it is wider, but the pitman and idler arms should still be in the same location.

No its not wider end to end, just at the tie rod mounting holes.

Sounds like this guy bought the wrong centerlink.

3_7's
07-17-2011, 01:34 PM
i bought what i read as the right drag link. if i were to put it on my car the pitman arm and the idler arm would not be parraleel to each other. so either this drag link was packaged wrong or it really does not fit 78 to 88 monte g-body. mine measures center of idler to center of pitman 21 3/4", the "improved" one measures 23 1/8" so it is wider end to end also. i'm just going to return it.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Metric-Improved-Geometry-Centerlink,48370.html?parentDisplayId=41020

dirttrackrocker
07-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Hmm.. It's listed as 78-88 Monte, but I,m quite sure Montes, Regals, Cutlass, and Grand Prix's were the same.

dirttrackrocker
07-17-2011, 05:02 PM
No its not wider end to end, just at the tie rod mounting holes.

Sounds like this guy bought the wrong centerlink.

Thats what I meant, I guess I worded it wrong. The Idler and pitman arm attach at each end so they should be the same overall width. I thought maybe the relocation of the tie rod's confused him.

3_7's
07-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Thats what I meant, I guess I worded it wrong. The Idler and pitman arm attach at each end so they should be the same overall width. I thought maybe the relocation of the tie rod's confused him.

i understood that the tie rods would be different but when i held it up to the other it was clear that it was wrong. figured i had better see if the monte was built on the same frame as the full size cars.

stock car driver
07-17-2011, 05:54 PM
i bought what i read as the right drag link. if i were to put it on my car the pitman arm and the idler arm would not be parraleel to each other. so either this drag link was packaged wrong or it really does not fit 78 to 88 monte g-body. mine measures center of idler to center of pitman 21 3/4", the "improved" one measures 23 1/8" so it is wider end to end also. i'm just going to return it.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Metric-Improved-Geometry-Centerlink,48370.html?parentDisplayId=41020

Sounds wrong to me BUT a lot of us use to run the camaro centerlink it has the tie rods further apart but because its for a camaro 82-92 it is wider and put our idler and pitman at a angle and not parallel. I never felt my car worked differently with the camaro and I think its illegal after all, so I went back to oem metric.

Its possible the AFCO part is just the oem metric camaro? Maybe a look at afco's site will give you the outside dimensions of the part and then youll know if you got the correct one or not?

SRXSRULE
07-17-2011, 07:42 PM
This was covered on here a few months aago. The "NEW" improved geometry Metric center link is just an OEM camero center link. NOT IMCA legal.

If you want an OEM metric center just go to your local parts store and pick one up for 50 bucks. Eric

stock car driver
07-17-2011, 10:08 PM
This was covered on here a few months aago. The "NEW" improved geometry Metric center link is just an OEM camero center link. NOT IMCA legal.

If you want an OEM metric center just go to your local parts store and pick one up for 50 bucks. Eric

Thanks thats what I thought, funny its not legal now since many have ran those camaro ones since 2003 at least.

Leave it to speedway to market the centerlink as new... gonna have to watch all kinds of stuff now with speedway owning afco, lol...

3_7's
07-18-2011, 09:03 PM
a lot of us use to run the camaro centerlink it has the tie rods further apart but because its for a camaro 82-92 it is wider and put our idler and pitman at a angle and not parallel. I never felt my car worked differently with the camaro and I think its illegal after all, so I went back to oem metric.

so, i have to run stock uppers, lowers & i am running the stock spindles. do you think the camaro center link would help with the stock a-arms and spindles? should i just stick with the stock one? what tie rods did you run? thanks for the help. 3_7's

3_7's
07-22-2011, 09:26 PM
thanks, gonna send it back and stick with the stock one.

stock car driver
07-23-2011, 12:32 AM
sorry didnt see your last question till now. Im running oem per the rules. I never noticed a difference when I ran the camaro and my car TURNS really really well on the front tires not sliding it around with the rears.

It it bumps out or in its not hurting my car in the corners at all.