PDA

View Full Version : Older GRT rear suspension question

Kwaz-13
07-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Car I'm working with is an older GRT, 2-hole bottom brackets. The car is decent, but I was able to sit in a 'good' car a while back, and I learned a bit about where this car needs to be.

My issue now is that I can't get enough bite without substantially preloading the left rear spring at full droop. It's preloaded so much, that there is no way I could possibly 'rock it up' on the left side. It is also a substantial fight to move the top left bar up a hole later in the night: we have to but a jack under the shock mount on the birdcage. The other option is to remove the shock, but it is just as hard a fight to reinstall it unless without taking some rounds out.

Has anyone run into this before? I've checked a lot of measurements against the car I drove, and can't find anything obvious. Below are a few setup details, and I'll be happy to provide more if needed.

-Ride height 3" RF,LF,RR. Had 4.25" in RR at one point, but was told 3" for 2-hole car
-4-bars are 17" and 15" Have trailed right side .25 and .50 before.
-Scale with top bars 1 hole down, LR lower in bottom hole, RR lower in top hole
-All 4 bars are ~3" from axle tubes on birdcage side.
-LR springs have tried 175,200,225, and stack deal. All present same issue.
-RR spring 225 or 250.
-LF 500-550
-RF 375-425
-5th coil at 36" and spring 350
-J-bar 8.75 on frame, 3rd slot up on pinion
-Depending on fuel, without driver, 52-53% left and 52.5-54% rear
-Weight without driver is around 2130, before adding fuel for the night.

Any suggestions would be great. I hope someone has seen this problem before. The car isn't bad, but I need to be able to tighten the car later in the night. And I can't get more bite or 'rock it up' without massively affecting ride height.