PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Question

Masters2010
07-17-2011, 09:00 PM
We have a our oil cooler after the oil filter, just before it goes into the motor. The problem is that when the car sits, the oil from the oil cooler drains into the motor and ends up in the bottom of the pan. The oil cooler is mounted on the deck just behind the hood. When starting the car it seems like it takes a couple seconds to get oil pressure. We have been turning over the motor with the starter (with the ignition off) in order to get oil pressure before turning on the ignition. Any suggestions how to fix the problem?

dualdj1
07-18-2011, 09:21 AM
You could look at putting it on the return side if possible, or maybe even just before the filter. The filter should provide enough resistance to keep it from draining.

Masters2010
07-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Thats what we were thinking, we wanted to keep the oil cooler after the filters. We have an o-berg on the oil tank and a traditional oil filter. We are going to put the oil cooler just after the oberg and before the oil filter. I'll let you know after this weekend how it works.

big88fan
07-18-2011, 11:31 PM
I would put the oberg in the return line that way you catch the debris before it goes into the oil tank its possible for it to sit in the bottom of the oil tank and never make it into the oberg then you may not catch a bearing problem until its too late.

dualdj1
07-19-2011, 08:26 AM
yeah what 88 said. oberg on return side, fine (traditional) filter on feed side after the cooler.

Masters2010
07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I would put the oberg in the return line that way you catch the debris before it goes into the oil tank its possible for it to sit in the bottom of the oil tank and never make it into the oberg then you may not catch a bearing problem until its too late.

The oil tank has the oberg mounted right on top of it. The oil has to go through the oberg in order to go into the oil tank. ;)

dualdj1
07-20-2011, 10:16 AM
cool you should be good to go then :cool:

sj valley dave
07-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Our oil goes from pump to 2 qt filter, then cooler and then feed into engine. We just spin it over with ignition off till we see the gauge bump and then fire it.