PDA

View Full Version : rocket blUe-grey

lpd1
07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
been working on tuning this new car in we have seem to got it pretty darn good getting in to the corners and to the center now off the gas- but we still need some more help for on the throttle from center off it seems to want to come around when you are trying to throttle up from center off?? we shortend the right side wheeels base 1/2 inch from 18 3/4 to 18 1/4. and raised j bar to 9 1/4 and the car seem to be better but still have to be really easy with in in the center and off on the gas we have a 225 on the rr

talclipse
07-18-2011, 06:26 PM
been working on tuning this new car in we have seem to got it pretty darn good getting in to the corners and to the center now off the gas- but we still need some more help for on the throttle from center off it seems to want to come around when you are trying to throttle up from center off?? we shortend the right side wheeels base 1/2 inch from 18 3/4 to 18 1/4. and raised j bar to 9 1/4 and the car seem to be better but still have to be really easy with in in the center and off on the gas we have a 225 on the rr

As a general rule of thumb adding J bar will take away forward drive. Is it more of a loose off condition, or a lack of forward drive?

LLOYD-XMAS
07-18-2011, 06:55 PM
If i didnt know any better id swear i wrote this myself. Im in the same boat i feel like mine is a loose off condition. Cant wait to read some more replies.

lpd1
07-18-2011, 09:22 PM
i think mine is a lack of side bite. because when there is some traction left in the track the car will come off the corners great but when the track slicks off i cant keep the car under me unless i slow m y corner speed down extremely and even then i have to be real easy rolling back into the gas? what are some other extreme was to add side bite and forward traction???? i have heard some say to clamp the dummy shock up??? for forward traction but i m running out of ideas for side bite i would hate to take the j-bar any higher im in the bottom of the pinion all ready as well and 9 1/4 on the frame.

washeduptoo
07-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm a mod guy but something that is overlooked sometimes when the rrb bar is lowest of the frame is, if they have holes on bottom of rr bc where they can move it up towards the axle. Again some don't have those holes but you might and it will tighten up the car and index into the spring quicker. Maybe this will help and good luck.

talclipse
07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
How much left side weight are you running?

TALON75
07-19-2011, 07:48 PM
where are your rightside bars located, and can you tip the rr shock in at the top?

lpd1
07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
left side and rear is 55 percent, and yes i have moved the shock in at the top and on the inside of the bird cage and also stiffen the rr spring to a 250 from a 225, never seem to help much im looking to make a big change to drasticly change to side bite. some peopl have said there running j bar up to 9 3/4 ??? not sure if i should try that or not??? my right side bars are rrt is neatrul and rrb is 2nd hole from bottom for feature time. ive rocked the left side up some and what but itsa not enough i have been having this trouble for about 5 years in 3 different cars now, i cant seem to make the car do whart im wanting it to. i noticed a buddy of mine i was fallowing him for a while the other night befor he just left me but i was having to be easy with the gas from center off and he was just salmming in in the corners and off??? would lowering the lr bottom rod down help drive off???

LLOYD-XMAS
07-20-2011, 07:45 AM
We have done about everything you can think of to these cars also. Nothing ever seems like it really makes it have good drive off. There has to be a little moisture or your sol. It seems like changes in wedge/hiking the car up and rf spring are the only things these cars some what respond to. Then they still arent that good when it slicks off.

talclipse
07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Your left side percentage is way too high and your rear is too low for the slick. Get your left side down to closer to 54% (move your motor, fuel cell, battery whatever you need to get that left side down) and your rear up to closer to 56% and you will notice a tremendous difference with the car. Also, look at moving the rear end over to the left side 1/4-1/2" to help the car scotch up. Especially in the slick these cars do not like to be slung at all. You really have to float it down in the corner, keep the car straight and keep your momentum up to have anything coming off the corner.

Are you on the short bar or long bar?

lpd1
07-20-2011, 12:01 PM
im on the long j bar right now, i had my left side down to 54 for a while and just took it up to 55,. so instead of my side to side being at 16 3/4 take it to 16 1/4???

talclipse
07-20-2011, 12:09 PM
im on the long j bar right now, i had my left side down to 54 for a while and just took it up to 55,. so instead of my side to side being at 16 3/4 take it to 16 1/4???

In order to move the rear end to the L 1/4" your new lateral location would measure 17". What was your reason for going back up on left side percentage?

dualdj1
07-20-2011, 12:13 PM
higher ls % is fine for tacky, but you need lower ls and higher rear %'s for slick. if you don't want to mess with rear end position, slap a spacer on the LR to take your ls% down when it slicks.

lpd1
07-20-2011, 05:41 PM
what would happen shortening the right side wheel base half inch and lengthen the left side a half inch also. we have all ready done the right side

joedoozer
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
higher ls % is fine for tacky, but you need lower ls and higher rear %'s for slick. if you don't want to mess with rear end position, slap a spacer on the LR to take your ls% down when it slicks.

I am going to have to agree. Running a spacer on the LR will lower that left side %. Less left and more rear. Since you have had this problem with 3 different cars. Any chance the nut behind the wheel needs some adjustment? Haha I kid because your problem sounded similar to mine. My corner entry speed was way to fast earlier in the season. I was just driving the car too far into the corner. By the time I got to the apex the chassis wasn't in a position that wanted to accelerate off the corner. I was sliding around like a bar of soap in a bath tub. Once I freed up entry I could back my corner up without pushing. Then I could get in the throttle sooner without upsetting the car.

Food for thought.

jedclampit
07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Good food right there!

LLOYD-XMAS
07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
What size wheel spacer is the way to go?? 1/2 inch, 1 inch??

dualdj1
07-21-2011, 10:28 AM
we're using a 1" on our swing/zlink car in the slick. that should be roughly equiv to moving the rear end 1/4 to 1/2" over. But scale it and see how it effects your %

joedoozer
07-21-2011, 10:29 AM
What size wheel spacer is the way to go?? 1/2 inch, 1 inch??

When its on the scales space the wheel out with some extra lug nuts. See what it does to your numbers.