PDA

View Full Version : Pullbar Angle?

drive3b
07-20-2011, 07:29 AM
We run a 3 stage AFCO pullbar with the 600/2000 spring, purple rubbers inside and yellow on the brake side. Overall length is pretty short, dont have the exact measurement right now.

I am unsure about the amount of angle we should be running for varying track conditions.

We have been struggling with tight corner entry and have made changes to everything in the car that we can think of. Could the pullbar be causing part of the problem? This is our 2nd year in modifieds so we are still learning how all this stuff works.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brad Tyler
3B Modified

powerslide
07-20-2011, 09:50 AM
doubtful. Post info and i am sure we can track down the issue

chapa9
07-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I had the same problem last year. Tight entry when I should have been crazy loose. Ended up being a brake issue. Not enough brake pad and a balance bar that was in a bind. I now can't stress brakes enough. If you have checked the brakes check them again. I learned really fast that poor brakes will kill the best set-up

drive3b
07-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Lol, funny you should mention brakes because I just swapped out my pedal assembly...I was having problems with them so I took the good set of Tiltons out of my backup car. They work much better now. I also got rid of my brake floater to help eliminate a variable that I am not very consistent with. Thanks for the info.

I would like to learn a little more about this pullbar angle and what is better in what conditions. Has anyone had any issues with the 3-stage bar? If so, any recommendations on what to run instead?

HEAVY DUTY
07-20-2011, 10:07 PM
A good angle on a short pullbar is 16 to 18 degrees.The pullbars usually have a red or black brake bushing. The yellow one is soft which will tighten corner entry (on brakes) a little but not a lot.Most of the time a tight entry on a 4 bar lr is related to too soft of compression on the LR shock letting the chassis fall taking the rear steer out.

Darkstar15
07-21-2011, 07:39 AM
We have run a 3 way AFCO for 2 years on two different Shaws. Have tried three different springs and have ended up on the progressive one like you have. After we put Loctite on all the nuts and bolts we have had no problems with the pullbar. We run the bar down as far as it will go in front and up in back and centered in the mount. Run mostly dry slick and have good bite. Have removed the yellow center biscuits with the progressive spring and preload spring for 2 inches of travel.

John

kraftkar7x
07-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Yea I took biscuits out of mine also they hurt me more than they helped me. As for angle look in afco book they have great tech tips in it for angle compared to track condition

Graff Spee
07-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Degree of angle is determined entirely by length. Usualy 18 to 22 degrees works well. Alot of guys run short bars thinking they are quicker. I prefer a longer bar. The 24 to 27 inch range is real stable. Just remember that what you gain comming out you pay for going in. More angle = longer bar, less angle = shorter bar.

let-r-eat
07-24-2011, 09:14 PM
panhard bar?

2graphic
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
We have a lightning swing arm car, and i think it needs replaced and ideas, we are also just getting started. Speedway has one for about a hundred dollars with red biscuits. Would this be a good place to start?

ace1
07-31-2011, 11:44 AM
We have a lightning swing arm car, and i think it needs replaced and ideas, we are also just getting started. Speedway has one for about a hundred dollars with red biscuits. Would this be a good place to start?

I have one of the speedway bars if your interested. It has less than 5 races on it, has 2 new red bushings installed.