PDA

View Full Version : Checking a used chassis

ferd
07-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Want to start looking at used chassis, might build a Crate car to run next year. Can't afford anything too exotic, but want a good car to learn how to set up and drive. I expect to look at cars in garages and driveways without a lot of easy access and definitely no opportunity to put them on a chassis jig first.

How do you determine if a used chassis is still straight?
Are there any areas in particular where I should check for damage?

If this has already been addressed, please point me to it.
Any help is deeply appreciated.

Graff Spee
07-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I always tend to buy the chassis that is wrecked LOL. Cheaper price, more room for profit. For you,I would say to look for any signs of repair. Do the welds look consistant etc. Does the suspension hit any place? Is it currently bieng raced? Try to find someone who knows about cars to go with you. Don't impulse buy! Tons of cars out there at exceptional prices! Good luck.

joedoozer
07-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Talk to the chassis manufacturer before you go look at it. They might have more insight on key places to look.

Take a look at both bumpers and those little tabs that the body braces are bolted to. 9 times out of 10 these have been busted up before and will show you the type of welding the current owner is doing. Also look at the motor, power steering, belts and hoses, look for signs of poor maintenance, sloppy or bad work habits. These can be signs that good weekly maintenance probably wasn't high on the priority list. You don't want to be hassled or nickel and dimed to death with constant problems (electrical, gauges, fuel problems, brake leaks). So make sure everything is in working order.

Matt49
07-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Good advice from Joedoozer. You don't want to inherit a roller that was not properly maintained. I can tell you from experience that to get it the way you want it (which is hopefully a reliable car) you'll end up replacing more stuff that what it is worth. A lot of guys will put old junk parts on a car before selling it as a roller so they don't have to part ways with their good ball joints, birdcages, rack, etc. Look out for that kind of stuff. When you buy a roller, the most expensive items you are paying for other than the frame are the rear-end, the rack, and the brake system. Most folks aren't going to part ways with good shocks unless they are getting out of racing altogether. It's hard to tell what kind of shape the rear-end is in without checking the inspection plug or taking it apart and the rack and the brakes are hard to tell without driving it so specifically ask the owner about these things and do your best to read they're responses. Best of luck to you. Buying a used roller can be a valuable learning experience on these cars if you can keep the expenses down by starting with good stuff.