PDA

View Full Version : engine loosing power in turns

cushionbumper
07-25-2011, 07:45 AM
we replaced our fuel cell this past week, and installed a new fuel filter. During hot laps after a few laps the engine would die in the turns but come back on the straights. Thought it may be a carb issue. Changed carbs and same happened during the feature. I have my thoughts as to the cause, but looking for some of yours.
Thanks.
CB

fox1162002
07-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Check msd ground. Battery ground. My msd ground became loose and it done the same thing had to weld a bolt to the chassis. Also keep it cleaned and greased with electrical grease.

dunn5
07-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Check fuel filter for being in backwards or spring on wrong end. I have seen this problem several times.

SS Motorsports
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Check the location of the pick-up before you do anything else.

joedoozer
07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Check the location of the pick-up before you do anything else.

Yeah sounds like a pick up problem to me too. I have heard of people putting the cell in backwards. Putting the pick up at the LF instead of the RR.

cushionbumper
07-25-2011, 03:54 PM
that's was my first thought too; check the fuel pickup in the cell.
That sucks though. Brand new cell just put in last week. Hopefully that is it. I'll let you all know later in the week what the verdict was.
CB

SnapOn35
07-25-2011, 05:23 PM
we had this problem in our mod a few years back and come to find out there was a piec of tap that was floating around in the tank and it did the exact same thing yours is doing just something else easy to look at good luck

racin6mod
07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
we just fought the same type problem changed everything but the fuel cell and it still ran like crap on the track. after the 4th carb and talking to the carb guy he sais it's in the msd system so we looked in to every part of the msd . they said to ground the box to the engine not the chassis like we have always done with no problem and that fixed the dam n thing, it ran great the next week.

cushionbumper
07-26-2011, 07:35 AM
well the verdict is in.
Installed new fuel cell the previous week that was manufactured in Jan, 2011 and new fuel filter.
Car would loose power through turns.
Drained fuel from cell, removed cell, looked in cell and what did I see?????????
The bottom of the fuel cell is covered in what looks like black sand. Apparently the foam bricks have deteriorated to the point of disintegrating, and I'm not talking about just a thin layer of foam, it's 1/2" to 3'4" in some areas.
Fuel filter was totally filled with this stuff.
Needless to say not a happy camper.
Call to supplier today.
CB

Matt49
07-26-2011, 07:53 AM
I doubt it's a pickup location problem if it is loosing power in the corners. Think about it...even if the pickup wasn't submerged while the car is turning, you would have enough fuel just from the pump to the carb alone to get you through the corner and then some. Not to mention all the fuel in the line behind the pump.

cushionbumper
07-26-2011, 09:39 AM
after looking down in the fuel cell, it's definitely not a fuel pickup location problem. It's the fuel pickup hose being clogged from the disintegrating foam bricks.
CB

cushionbumper
07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
now that I have the fuel cell cleaned from all the disintegrating foam and I want to make sure the fuel that I drained from the fuel cell prior to cleaning doesn't contain any of the foam. I don't have a funnel with a filter. Is there a way to make a temporary filter in the funnel I do have? Would cheesecloth maybe be a possibility?
Any other suggestions?
thanks. CB

fox1162002
07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Use a paint strainer.

dualdj1
07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
paint filters would probably work well. something like this (can get cheap ones at paint supply store)

http://www.amazon.com/50-Mesh-Fine-Paint-Strainer/dp/B000PA09V0

cushionbumper
07-27-2011, 08:52 AM
paint strainer/filter, good idea.
Thanks.

jedclampit
07-27-2011, 10:10 AM
I'd use it somewhere else (generator) but thats just me being anal.:cool:

cushionbumper
07-27-2011, 10:55 AM
this is 110 octane racing fuel at $7.50/gal. Not going in my generator.

dualdj1
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Obviously his fuel filter is doing the job if it was causing pressure loss (ie plugged), so strain the fuel, put in a new filter, and good to go :P

slmcrewchief99
07-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I went earlier this year to test with a friend of mine that had purchased 1 of our cars. He started having the same problem as you have. After the 2nd time out I pulled off the filter and found all the foam in it. We had to take off the line from the tank up to the filter and run a coat hanger thru it. It was packed so tight with foam you literally couldn't use an air blower to clean it out. Needless to say, practice was over for that day. He did get all of it out of his fuel system finally. But he did have to take off the line all the way to the pump because the foam was so fine it still passed thru the filter. He also changed the filter after the 1st 2 nights he raced just to make sure he didn't miss any. $20 bucks for a few filters is lots cheaper than burning up your powerplant.

jedclampit
07-28-2011, 08:13 AM
I went earlier this year to test with a friend of mine that had purchased 1 of our cars. He started having the same problem as you have. After the 2nd time out I pulled off the filter and found all the foam in it. We had to take off the line from the tank up to the filter and run a coat hanger thru it. It was packed so tight with foam you literally couldn't use an air blower to clean it out. Needless to say, practice was over for that day. He did get all of it out of his fuel system finally. But he did have to take off the line all the way to the pump because the foam was so fine it still passed thru the filter. He also changed the filter after the 1st 2 nights he raced just to make sure he didn't miss any. $20 bucks for a few filters is lots cheaper than burning up your powerplant.

Been thru the same deal, the sheeit was in the fuel bowls of the carb!

joedoozer
07-29-2011, 10:37 AM
I run foam too and I have heard horror stories about this happening. The foam I bought said it will not deteriorate even with the ethanol in pump gas. I still keep an eye out for it though. So far so good.

rubbinsracin
07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
after reading this thread....i think im going to take the afternoon off, pull out some foam and put in some wiffle golfballs

50j
07-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Good idea. Foam is unreliable. You don't know it's a problem until it's a problem.