PDA

View Full Version : Bert starter/bellhousing question

SteveHansen06
07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
The starter went out of my Bert set up on my late model so I bought a new starter. Battery was weak so I replaced it - bolted the starter on greased the idler shaft and hit the button and it turned over perfect. Took the carb cap off and went to start it and it made a terrible grinding sound. I tool the fly wheel cover off and ran my remote starter switch underneath the car so I could see what was going on. When the starter turns it does not push the idler wheel into the teeth - it is like it won't mesh. I took my screw driver and when I hit the starter I helped the idler engage and worked. I hit the starter a couple more times and it worked on it's own but on the third time it would not engage and ground again. I looked at my old starter and it had a washer welded on behind the starter gear. My question is are there different starters out there or do I have an idler problem???

JacksonRacing
07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
There's a spec for the air gap between the idler and the ring gear. If you've got more than that spec or even if you're on the high side of it, they will grind.

There are spacers to move the flywheel closer to the starter to get the right air gap. I think I got mine from Performance Bodies.

SteveHansen06
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
SOunds good THANKS!!!!