PDA

View Full Version : Where To Find Shock Info?

HuckleberryB4
07-31-2011, 02:36 PM
We are waaaaaay outdated on our shocks and are looking into getting some new ones. But to be honest I don't know any indepth info on the modern shocks that guys are running now days. I know the basic adjustments for tuning but thats about the extent. So I'm looking for as MUCH info as possible before we make a purchase. I'm also looking for info on the advanced tuning of shocks as far as rod pressures and what not. Thanks for any help.

GRTLRBITE
07-31-2011, 07:18 PM
http://www.integrashocksandsprings.com/general/2011/techGuides.php

talclipse
07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
We are waaaaaay outdated on our shocks and are looking into getting some new ones. But to be honest I don't know any indepth info on the modern shocks that guys are running now days. I know the basic adjustments for tuning but thats about the extent. So I'm looking for as MUCH info as possible before we make a purchase. I'm also looking for info on the advanced tuning of shocks as far as rod pressures and what not. Thanks for any help.

What type of car are you running? What type of track conditions do you typically race in? Do you travel to a lot of different tracks? Or is your track significantly different weekly? What kind of budget are you working with?

grt74
07-31-2011, 08:23 PM
i would try to find a local shock builder (someone who is with in a hour or two)thats very knowlegable and that has the time to take calls or give a call back, he can start you off being real close to what you need and then work from there,i would look for the best customer sevice if it were me,,most of the off the shelf stuff will work somewhat but its not the same as custom shocks unless you know exactly what you want and order then from the manufacture built that way

HuckleberryB4
07-31-2011, 10:44 PM
What type of car are you running? What type of track conditions do you typically race in? Do you travel to a lot of different tracks? Or is your track significantly different weekly? What kind of budget are you working with?

I run a Mastersbilt smackdown in a Sportsman/limited late class. Cast motor, 2500 lb weight limit and 10" wheels. We only run one track through out the season and maybe a year end show at another when it's available. The track is dry slick almost every night except for the first couple and last couple of weeks.

We have pretty good equipment but are really lacking on the shocks. The 99 Afco double adjustables aren't cutting it anymore. lol. We bought new SZ series bilsteins in 07, but hated them and there's no adjustability. So now I'm on a mission to learn as much as possible about shocks and their adjustability so we can make a purchase during this off season without going over board and blowing money to be a weekend warrior in a limitied late class.

dualdj1
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Afco's are still good, we run the M2's and like them a lot, but their Silver series are supposed to be a little better (newer model).

some info here:

http://www.afabcorp.com/exp/files/resourcesmodule/@random440610d5778ca/1168035555_circle_shocks.pdf

not saying afco is necessarily the way to go, there's a lot of good shock companies out there.

racinrocket1
08-01-2011, 03:35 PM
call kenny at B & O racing shocks !!!!!! we run a steel block motor weighing around 2450also. hes a afco dealer and integra dealer . we run the afco M2's and are very pleased with what he has done for us in our shock program. save your self time and money by calling him . nicest guy you'll ever talk to and he gives the best tech support i have found.

kenny smith - 1-336-789-6365

HuckleberryB4
08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I was reading through the Envy Thread and read alot of good things about Kenny at B&O once he was mentioned. I'll give him a call for sure. Does he sell shocks aswell as tuning them or is he strictly a tuner? Also, how do the Afco M2's compare to the Integra's and Ohlins? Thanks for all the input so far fellas.

grt74
08-01-2011, 06:48 PM
We run ohlins with zero problems so far,had m2's had problems with the nitrogen(they always seemed to loose pressure)they might have fixed it by now,and dont know about integras because we havent had the need to change

timmayb
08-01-2011, 07:02 PM
They have corrected most issues in the Silver Series afco's from what i've heard. But if it were me, and the track was dry slick most of the night almost all season long, i'd be on Ohlins.

racer41
08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
shorty's shocks have a good pice going right now dont no number off top off head

racinrocket1
08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
kenny at B & O sales and tunes shocks , as far as having a problem with the M2's i have had none with mine i know when they fisrt come out they had a problem with the rod seals leaking but have since then fixed that. the silver series is the same shock just alittle better and alittle cheaper... when kenny did my shocks it has helped up a ton in the dry slick.... the one guy he does shocks for has 17 wins this year plus the other guys he does shocks for counting my team also has wins on his shocks... trust me you wont go wrong by calling him nicest guy you will ever talk to / meet... i know he does work on ohlins to not sure if hes a dealer or not but i know a few times i have talked to him he was working a different sets of them. if you want help in the dry slick call him !!!!!

dualdj1
08-02-2011, 08:36 AM
The M2's we have do tend to leak down over time (some worse than others), but since I check and adjust my pressures before every race, it's not a problem for us.

grasshopper
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Kenny at B&O dont work on olins he does a great job on the afcos. He has helped our shock program out a bunch this year. we have raced 8 times this year won 2 and finished in the top 6 the others.