PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming out of vavle cover breathers

ask0329
08-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I have 5 races on my 602 and after last week I noticed some oil on the breathers and the valve covers. First time I ever noticed this. I was having problems with the powerglide as it wasnt engaging til around 4K rpms so I was thinking the two may be related? I've fixed the powerglide (now engages at normal rpms)and had the car running again yesterday and no oil coming out of the breathers. But I'm not under race conditions. Just wondered if anyone else has had oil out the breathers or if its something to be concerned about. I'll definately keep an eye on it this friday.

dirttrackrocker
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Pretty common Andy, every race engine I have ever had did that. Not a lot of oil, but, enough to make a mess. I put an old sock over the breather, mine usually only does it on the rear breather. I clean the breather each week and change the sock out every 4 or 5 races. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

ask0329
08-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Kevin, as always thanks again. I'm just going to start by-passing these forums and just msg you. I came from the 4cyls right to these V8 mod machines so I'm literaly learning everything as I go.

dirttrackrocker
08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Kevin, as always thanks again. I'm just going to start by-passing these forums and just msg you. I came from the 4cyls right to these V8 mod machines so I'm literaly learning everything as I go.

No problem Andy, I'll help in any way I can.

brad hibbard
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
make sure there isn't too much oil

in most cases the advertised 8 qts will be overfull

602 has the sight plug on the right side of the oil pan

oil should never come out when the plug is removed

Brad
www.race-1.com

ask0329
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
yeah i have the advertised 8 quarts in there and yes it does come out the inspection plug when I open it up. Should I open the inspection plug and leave it off til it stops comeing out and call it good?

SRXSRULE
08-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Oil out of the beaters is NOT normal on a 602 with only a hand full on nights on it. mine has about 20 nights on it now and I've never had any oil or smoke out the breathers. 7 qts of oil is plenty. Eric

brad hibbard
08-02-2011, 08:55 AM
yeah i have the advertised 8 quarts in there and yes it does come out the inspection plug when I open it up. Should I open the inspection plug and leave it off til it stops comeing out and call it good?

go to our website and click FAQ and then crate engines

I believe the first topic is about oil level

Brad
www.race-1.com

rubbinsracin
08-02-2011, 12:07 PM
with both of the 602s we had they blew some oil up into the breather for the first couple of races. my guess is the rings needed to seat or something. then nothing for the rest of the life of the motor.

our built motor is a different animal though. from the day we have had it we have oil that comes out the breathers. the set of valve covers we have now has a baffle in them though that keeps 99% of the oil in there. what we did to keep the oil from dripping onto anything hot was purchase a foam go-cart air filter sleeve and cut it it and slip it over the breathers. they get dirty and we just wash them with the breather. ever 4th or 5th race.

Dirt36
08-10-2011, 08:35 PM
If its alot of oil coming out it could be a cracked piston/ring, my 602 motor had that happen years ago. Ran good, had good oil pressure, poured oil out of the breathers. A motor builder told me they are bad about doing this.