PDA

View Full Version : What vehicle should I be looking for?

racing9HVR
08-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I am going to build a new racecar to run at East Alabama Motor Speedway in the road warrior class and I am wanting a vehicle I could upgrade and make some changes that I can run in the bomber class a year or two down the road.

Here is the rules

Warrior Rules:
http://www.eamsdirt.com/rulesroadwarrior2011.pdf

Bomber Rules:
http://www.eamsdirt.com/rulesbomber2011.pdf

I am thinking a Monte Carlo or Rivera, what do you suggest???... Thanks in Advance for your help.

Racing 9

racing9HVR
08-04-2011, 07:09 AM
I also looking at early 90's Crown Vic. Anyone have any links? I seen one p71 website but that is not working anymore...

raceman17
08-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Your best bet would be to get a metric style car like the monte carlo, grand prix, or buick regal. You can find one pretty cheap. The best thing since you are just starting out would be to get a roller chassis or a race ready car. You will spend a lot of money building one yourself. You will nickle and dime your self broke!

I messed up on my first race car years ago running a Ford Granada. Stay away from fords for racecars. No one really runs ford type cars and most of the parts for the cars are way more expensive then a chevy type car. Go out to the track and see what most everybody is running and you will find out that its the metric chassis. Also, you will be able to get alot of help from these forums with a metric car.

Hope this helps.

dirttrackrocker
08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I agree, stick with a GM metric chassis. Lots of them out there and lots of after market legal parts.

ferd
08-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah, go with something that could be made legal in both classes so you can apply what you learn along the way. But don't really plan on running the same car in both classes -- expect to buy or build a new car when you move up. Because when you're starting out it's really easy to ruin your first car, or at least mess it up enough that it won't do well in the higher class. Particularly with street cars converted into race cars.

hogracer3d
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I prefer the full size Caprice-Impala (A body), more forgiving and tougher, and only slightly heavier

bushracing67
08-04-2011, 09:27 PM
crown vic, 351w and prolly a junkyard c4... i wouldn't want to chance much more than that if people actually are using the claim, then you would be allowed a ford 9" and a windsor should easily out power a sbc on those rules

dirty white boy
08-05-2011, 02:34 PM
mopar got lot better stock parts for there motors an come factory with shaft mount rockers!!! an have longer rods an better stock intakes,heads too,...a small block in a duster/dart can get down to 2700lbs or less before addin bars,...an stock front end can be adjusted for weight an ride height as it came factory,..stock rear ends,mopars came with dana rears,..harder to find but just as good as a 9in,....if ya gotta run stock ignition then mopar got that to with stock part numbers...an ya can run mopar leaf's without cheat'in,....an it would be defferant an cool

racing9HVR
08-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you for all the input. Tomorrow I am going to look at a couple of vehicles..

dirty white boy
08-06-2011, 12:01 AM
a mavrick body if you got them better ideas bout a blue oval...

an a LS motor in a metric could have potential too

racing9HVR
08-06-2011, 07:27 PM
well I found a Monte Carlo. I am picking it up next weekend.

Moldymulldoon
08-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Good. Lots of chassis still around. Just have to look harder is all. Hoard all the parts you find, then HIDE them well. Every friend you ever knew or know will be asking for this asking for that. TRUST me. HIDE them well... I have all sorts of stuff hidden, I even have parts under my bed. Under the house, Camo nets over the monties I have hidden.

Moldy...

racing9HVR
08-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Good. Lots of chassis still around. Just have to look harder is all. Hoard all the parts you find, then HIDE them well. Every friend you ever knew or know will be asking for this asking for that. TRUST me. HIDE them well... I have all sorts of stuff hidden, I even have parts under my bed. Under the house, Camo nets over the monties I have hidden.

Moldy...

LOL what year do you run?

racing9HVR
08-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Well I dragged the monte carlo home this morning. Started ripping it apart with my kids. I will take some pictures later tomorrow..