PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering help

lilsumo
08-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Looking for a poor mans way of installing powersteering.
the car I bought has the remote reservoir on it and the lines, but I am looking for a cheaper way than buying the KRC kit or the southwest speed kit. Someone said a pump off a cavalier would work but I'd have to buy a pulley and a fitting, but i cant find the pulley there talking about.

This is my first car so be patient, I'm still learning.

Thanks for any help.

dirttrackrocker
08-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Until about a year ago, I have always used a stock GM pump. The key is you have to use a reduction pulley on the crank, the stock pulley on the pump is OK. Also make sure you use power steering fluid and not ATF. ATF foams. I know there's gonna be someone that pipes up and says it won't work, but, I have done it for many years, and I know others that are still doing it. A racing pump is the way to go, but, as long as your not turning crazy RPM's a stock pump will work.

powerslide
08-04-2011, 09:55 AM
get a junkyard cavalier pump and a old pulley off something in the yard as well and get machine shop to add pulley to pump. still have mine sitting on my parked emod

johnny v
08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Hey, we like the poor mans way of doing things, most of us over 40-55 yrs old started off "Building Race Cars" from junk, not "Buying Race Cars" the way most do it today.....

Powerslide is right.... I put power steering on a old super modified way back in the 70's with stock GM pumps with the small pulley out in front of a double sheave pulley on the Harmonic balancer..... ran pretty much the same setup all the way into the 90's on the first IMCA mods I messed with.....

ran this setup on the old Charlyne (sp?) power assist unit's, then profile power steering units (sprint car -super mod type) , on to early chevelle gm power steering units, metrics, etc...

It will work... no problem

Graff Spee
08-04-2011, 08:52 PM
A old style stock GM pump is fine. You just need to extend the fill tube. This stops it from pushing out fluid.

RW57
08-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I sure miss the days of building the race cars out of the junkyard. My dad is a master of this craft he helps my son his grandson on his hobby car he is always wanting to know why he is buying a part when he thinks we can make it I just tell him sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. He told me a story the other day about he was at a car show and was talknig to a man about his street rod the man told him he knew who he was he told him you are the man that builds street rods out of the junkyard LOL that made my dads day.