PDA

View Full Version : rear main seal

fast90mini
08-06-2011, 11:53 PM
I have a 2.3 built to a 2.5, has a floating crank in it{ this is what i was told} it keeps leaking at the rear main seal and i am thinking this because it moves back and forth it is eating up the seal? Does ford make a seal with a longer lip on it for this or are the seals all standard? It is a one piece seal and is it possible to have a floating crank? Thanks.

boportt
08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
wtf is that all about cuz u gotta have a thrst barring. no more than like 10 thou moovement is wat u can hav

Milford Motorsports
08-07-2011, 09:09 PM
The crank can only shift a few thousandths front to back.We have had good luck installing a micro sleeve on the bell of the crank.This gives the seal a new stainless steel surface to ride on.You can also try installing the seal deeper in it's seat.Some cranks get a groove wore into them from years of use.Also check your crankcase vent,make sure it is not obstructed in some way.Too much blow by could also be the culprit,have you done a leak down test recently?

fast90mini
08-07-2011, 09:41 PM
MILFORD, WE ARE NEW TO THIS, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT TOOLS ARE NEEDED AND HOW TO DO THIS, WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR WITH A LEAKDOWN TEST? RING WARE? AND THE CRANK IS MOVING ALOT, WHEN I WAS PUTTING THE FLYWHEEL ON THE ENGINE I COULD PUSH THE CRANK IN 3/16 OR SO AND I PULLED IT AND IT CAME BACK OUT THE SAME AMOUNT, MY FRIEND RUNS A 355 IN A SPORTSMAN AND HE SAID HE HAS A FLOATING CRANK IN IT SO IT DON'T PUT A BIND ON THE RODS AT HIGH RPMS? THE MOTOR I HAVE HAS 10 RACES ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND JUST TRYING TO FIX THE PROBLEM BEFORE IT BLOWS AND RUINS THE WHOLE BLOCK, :confused:THANKS.

car62
08-07-2011, 10:40 PM
the floating crank is no big deal,thats an old secret that has been out for decades...and most likely is non related to your issue.

id look at sleeving the back of the crank as mentioned and install a new rear main seal.

boportt
08-08-2011, 08:48 AM
wtf bs is that cranks should never moove more than a few thou. 3/16" meens u r misisng the thrust barring.

Milford Motorsports
08-08-2011, 09:11 AM
A leak down test is to check for worn or broken rings.I have to agree with Boport,the crank should only have a few thousandths clearance.Lateral movement of the crank would put a ton of stress on the rods and pistons.Every time you push in on the clutch you are forceing the crank all the way to the front.Sounds like someone installed the thrust bearing wrong or not at all.I would recommend tearing the motor down if nothing more than to verify that everything inside is as it should be.At least pull the pan and visually check the thrust bearing and other parts for wear.I would expect when you drain the oil you will find lots of metal particles.Your local machine shop(enginebuilder) should be able to install the micro sleeve if one is needed.

return to dirt
08-08-2011, 02:24 PM
crank has way too much endplay like stated. you don't have a mustang trans with a pinto bell do you?

olin

fast90mini
08-08-2011, 05:11 PM
we are running a pinto 196 and a 2.3 bellhousing, I was told about the longer shaft pushing in on the crank, don't think that is what is going on, and the thrust bearings are the center bearings with the half moon that shims the crank,right? thanks for all the ideas, going to tear it down tonight and see what I can find out, will let you know,thanks again.

boportt
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
yep midle barring is thrust

fast90mini
08-17-2011, 09:14 PM
We pulled the engine apart and found out the center thrust bearing was gone on the rear side facing the flywheel, crank was worn out from the bearing, i guess the tranny shaft is to long and pushing in on the crank, ordered a new crank and going to chang the tranny to one with a shorter shaft, i learned alot from this and thanks for all the help and ideas on the repairs.:)