PDA

View Full Version : header glowingI

vms
08-07-2011, 06:59 AM
I have a header glowing red. Any idea on what it could be car seems to get hot quick

hpmaster
08-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Retarded timing?

jedclampit
08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
If you have a rev limiter msd, take the chip out, if problem is solved take gear out or increase chip limit #.:cool:

Graff Spee
08-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Fuel mixture to rich?

hsracer
08-07-2011, 09:23 PM
I have a header glowing red. Any idea on what it could be car seems to get hot quick
Its to lean and check your air mixture screws on carb. Also start engine and spray carb cleaner around the bottom of carb it might be sucking in air somewhere that would make it lean and run hot. Clean ever hole in carb with cleaner and air. I have had air coming in around the air mixture screws that made car lean out and run hot.

Egoracing
08-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Its to lean and check your air mixture screws on carb. Also start engine and spray carb cleaner around the bottom of carb it might be sucking in air somewhere that would make it lean and run hot. Clean ever hole in carb with cleaner and air. I have had air coming in around the air mixture screws that made car lean out and run hot.

Lean will add heat to the chamber but not the exhaust to the point of red headers. Fuel getting into the header and burning will make it red, either by timing or a rich condition.

dylchris
08-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Im with Ego, lean will typically make it look white around the header. the red glow is un burnt fuel burning in the header; hence timing or rich condition.

vms
08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
All the plugs are white so i would assume it means that its rich, and the timing is to much since it heats up quick.

vms
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
i would guess the issue is timing ill let you know what we find

dylchris
08-08-2011, 05:01 PM
light gray is lean; black tarry is rich;

Egoracing
08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
We had a mini that was showing lean on the plugs, it was running like junk and the header was cherry red. We found the carb was so rich that most of the fuel was flowing into the header and burning this flow was causing a lean condition in the cylinder. Never seen it before or sense but it is something to keep in mind!

jedclampit
08-08-2011, 08:58 PM
We had a mini that was showing lean on the plugs, it was running like junk and the header was cherry red. We found the carb was so rich that most of the fuel was flowing into the header and burning this flow was causing a lean condition in the cylinder. Never seen it before or sense but it is something to keep in mind!

:rolleyes: Spade!

JacksonRacing
08-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Borrow a different timing light and check your timing again.

Retarded timing caused the cases I've seen.

If it's popping through the carb too, you might have the valves set too tight and they aren't closing.

Egoracing
08-09-2011, 06:11 AM
:rolleyes: Spade!

:eek: You too?

jedclampit
08-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Lean combustion chamber...but rich in the exhaust? 2-stroke engine? :confused:

sj valley dave
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Rich condition will cause the glowing red header tubes...Ego is right, it is unburned gas in the header that causes it...If it was a lean condition, that poor old aluminum piston would have been melted before the header tubes got glowing...LOL

vms
08-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Well i found that the right side bank plugs looked ashe.. Which i think is ok, left side was white but 3 out of the 4 headers where cracked im guess because of the over heating. engine idles and runs fin when i throttle, lifting everything. But just sitting at idle waiting to hit the track the temp shoots right up. Where going to redo the timing tommarow. I checked the valves they all where correct.

We also where told to run 113 instead of 110. We switched back to the orig plugs. BTW this is alum head motor with a 600 holley carb.

vms
08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
this was also the the first time the header did this. But we also put new cap and rotor on the engine.

Egoracing
08-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Well i found that the right side bank plugs looked ashe.. Which i think is ok, left side was white but 3 out of the 4 headers where cracked im guess because of the over heating. engine idles and runs fin when i throttle, lifting everything. But just sitting at idle waiting to hit the track the temp shoots right up. Where going to redo the timing tommarow. I checked the valves they all where correct.

We also where told to run 113 instead of 110. We switched back to the orig plugs. BTW this is alum head motor with a 600 holley carb.

What is your compression??? 113 is STIFF and hard to burn, this may be the cause. I would bet that your cracks are from vibration and that may also be allowing air in and causing the tubes to get hot.

dualdj1
08-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Yes "the higher the better" is not the case with Octane rating. You want the correct octane for your compression ratio/timing to gain max power. This is why most older street cars (without variable timing) do better with regular (87) over premium (93)

SS Motorsports
08-10-2011, 12:29 PM
A vacuum leak will cause the same problem, have had it happen with a couple different motors.

vms
08-10-2011, 09:36 PM
well, we went to time the car and rejet and we noticed that the jets we dirty, come to find out the foam in the tank got in the system. Fuel filter was clogged. Also the distrubtor was locked out.

Egoracing
08-11-2011, 06:03 PM
well, we went to time the car and rejet and we noticed that the jets we dirty, come to find out the foam in the tank got in the system. Fuel filter was clogged. Also the distrubtor was locked out.

Never run an oval track distributor any other way.

vms
08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
jets where if i remmber right 70 and 45... Dont remmber right now.. but i found the fuel filter cloggved with foam as well as the carb had some in it.. This is a 13 to 1 i think.. aint sure.

Egoracing
08-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Whole other can of worms there! Not everyone locks them out. I tried to once, and broke 3 teeth off a flywheel over the course of 2 weeks.

~22* idle and 36* @ 7000 works fine for me. Nice and easy on the starter as well.

;)

If you have it wired to spin up before firing I have not had a single problem running them locked. I did have one stick before I started locking them and it did not advance and it melted the motor down. I would MUCH rather replace a flywheel than pistons, heads and a block.

sj valley dave
08-22-2011, 06:20 PM
I have never seen a serious race car not run a locked out distributor. Every major engine builder I know of has them locked out. You can spin the engine over and get oil where it's supposed to be, flip the ignition switch and your fired...Very simple...Not a grocery getter...A centrifigal advance is one more thing that can go wrong...I have NEVER seen another DLM where they are not set up the way I just mentioned...

1Blacksheep
08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
We had perfect jetting in our horse for 110.Ran 113 thru it one night same jets nothing else changed and the inside of the headers were Black, plugs also. Went back to the 110 and they went back Grey. Was told 113 needed bigger jets ??????????? :confused:

Egoracing
08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
We had perfect jetting in our horse for 110.Ran 113 thru it one night same jets nothing else changed and the inside of the headers were Black, plugs also. Went back to the 110 and they went back Grey. Was told 113 needed bigger jets ??????????? :confused:

If it was black it was rich, Octane is a requirement of compression NOT a jet sized adjustment. A smaller jet may make it better but you are making the combo lean to run hotter to burn the higher compression fuel.