PDA

View Full Version : Power steering locking up

mudderfudder
08-07-2011, 07:24 AM
we have an appleton rack with the intergrated servo, sweet steel pump, pullies on motor are both same size. The rack has been rebuilt been throu 2 pumps and still power steering keeps locking up intermitingly. is it possible that the issue is from the pullies on the motor and we should goto a bigger pulley on the water pump and smaller on the crank? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

charcoal01
08-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Locking up or chattering? I had a similar problem, I think I solved it by switching from a steel pump to aluminum, along with a couple other changes. I think the rpm rating on the steel pumps is 6500 and the aluminum ones are good to above 8000, though I may be wrong.

sj valley dave
08-09-2011, 04:21 PM
When we ran our aluminum pump of the front of the engine we had a 50% reduction set up, and now with our dry sump we run it off the back of the dry sump and it is a 50% deal also. This is with a KRC pump and Appleton rack and have had no problems....

jedclampit
08-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Is it mechanically locking up or just a loss of power assist?

mudderfudder
08-15-2011, 05:20 PM
fixed the problem....went to a different style belt and it fixed it plus we decided to run hydrolic fluid.