PDA

View Full Version : roll cage kits

racing9HVR
08-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Now that I have my car, looking for a roll cage for it. Chevy Monte Carlo.. Where should I be looking? Thanks

racing9HVR

hot_rod
08-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I bought my cage kit from Speedway. It is 1 3/4" .104 wall. Its a solid cage. I rolled my car twice last year and it held up and saved my butt in both occasions. I think that I paid almost $600. The only downfall that I have found is that it is heavy. On this years car, I replace all of the frame horn tubing with 1 1/2" .083 wall to take some of the weight off of the front of the car. With Speedway, if you ship it to a business with a loading dock or a fork lift, they will ship it for free. That saved a lot of money for me. It really wasnt that hard to figure out how to put it together. It doesnt come with a lower seat bracket, so what I did was only put 3 door bars on the passenger side and cut the last one in half and welded it to the lower cross bar. It works extremely well and it ridiculously strong. The majority of it will weld right in, some of it you will have to cut, shorten and notch. But its nice that a lot of it is already notched. I think that they have come down on the price since I bought mine. Here is a link to the kit.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1978-1987-GM-Metric-Midsize-Car-Roll-Cage-Kit,8054.html

Egoracing
08-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Unless you are very familiar with welding a cage into a chassis it is better to spend a few $$ and have someone do it. Jeff from J&J posted a pic in the coolint tips thread that shows EXACTLY why you should have a cage done by someone that knows what they are doing and how to do it.

hot_rod
08-08-2011, 07:37 AM
The way that I see. Is if you are not confident in your own welding skills, then get someone to do it. It shouldnt be anyone butt on the line except yours. I know that with my cage, my brother (who is a much better welder than me) welded the majority of my cage to the car. He did all of the crucial welds and I did a lot of the minor welds, until I got better. So bottom line is that if you think that your welds will keep you safe, then have at it. If you have any doubt in your welds, get someone else. The cage that I recommended is a very strong cage, heavy but strong. For the price it is a really good deal.

steveshawjr
08-08-2011, 07:51 AM
i have never seen a cage from thes guys get wrecked when installed by a good welder and there good a strong they have been making them for years and years

http://www.cscracing.com/ckboth.html

Egoracing
08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
I have seen several cages done by GOOD welders that were done with a stick welder and NOT secure. The problem is all it takes it for one "good" welder to get someone killed at a track and the track gets the blame and their insurance skyrockets and they close the doors.

stock car driver
08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I dont sell cage kits. If I dont weld it in the car my name doesnt go on it or near it.

I have got 4 cyl cars out there which have rolled 4 times and another 5 times, both of those never had cage from body separation etc. No cracked welds etc.

Ive had a street stock go end over end and land on the cement wall upside down then get hit head on... the halo bent between the supports but no cracks or stressed welds. The car that hit that car was totalled. the clip bent, the seat mounts broke, the steering mounts broke....

Welding is important. A certified welder doesnt mean a guy can weld a cage. I am a certified structural welder and that has no relevance to a welding in a cage. Even pipe fitters who weld all day often cant weld in a thin wall tubing cage.

Just be sure you know whos installing your cage. Ive rolled 4 times now in 3 seasons.

racing9HVR
08-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Thank you for the advise. I have welded cages for Jeeps and rock crawlers and my first mini stock. So I have welded cages before. I am completely set on safety is priority one. Thanks again

stock car driver
08-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Thank you for the advise. I have welded cages for Jeeps and rock crawlers and my first mini stock. So I have welded cages before. I am completely set on safety is priority one. Thanks again

My rock crawler cage and the others Ive done are nothing like a stock car cage. Stocks are .095-.063 thick while my jeepster cage is .125.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu150/jnjfab/Rubicon%202010%20trip/Rubicon098.jpg

racing9HVR
08-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Nice jeep there. I have a 1997... I understand completely I have welded a cages for mini stock and pro 4 cars...

But besides speedway any other place to look?

stock car driver
08-08-2011, 08:28 PM
speedway is the cheapest unless there is someone local near you.

speedway gets their kits from china last I knew

4bangerhotrod
08-08-2011, 10:07 PM
if a pipefitter cant weld a thin walled cage then there not a good pipefitter. and really a cage needs to be mig welded with solid wire an a shielding gas or tig welded, you can weld it with flux cored mig but the solid wire makes a better weld. it might be ok to weld a cage with a 1/16 7018 stick rod but anything bigger needs to much heat and the metal is to thin to handle the heat it requires to make a good weld. you can weld a cage with 3/32 7018 or 8018 but i wouldnt recommend it. also to really make a cage as safe as possible the welds really need to be stress relieved to keep them from cracking at the heat line were the metal will get brittle, although this would be pretty expensive it would be the proper way to make it the saffest possible im sure nascar does this or something similair. all the cages ive welded up i take k-wool which is like a fiberglass blanket and wrap the welds to let them cool off slow this will help keep cracks from forming at the edge of the welds from flexing or when a cage takes a hard hit and never do anything to make a weld cool quicker. and it also helps to be a master molten metal manipulator lol
thanks,
4bangerhotrod

racing9HVR
08-20-2011, 02:02 PM
I been looking at this kit

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5067683-allstar-performance-deluxe-roll-cage-kit-fits-70-77-monte-carlo-chevelle-malibu.html

with this

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5067687-allstar-performance-universal-rear-support-section.html

26-62 racing
08-20-2011, 08:46 PM
CSC roll cages out of Canadian makes a very good cage kit. We have use their cages before with very good results. Easy to assemble with prefitted tubing ends. One of our cars was in a wreck and had significant damage. The cage did what it was built to do. Protected to driver with no injuries! We put a front and rear clip on the same car and it is still fast and a winning car. You should consider their cage kit for ease of assembly and safety. They provide detail instructions for assembly with each part numbered for installation no guessing what go where and wasting materials. Make good welds with a wire machine ( not a 110v but a 220v welder) and you will end up with good safe race car. Mike

4bangerhotrod
08-20-2011, 09:18 PM
a 110 mig is plenty to weld a roll cage with. the 110 i have i have to run it pretty low to keep from burning through the tubing. and if it will burn a hole in the tubing it will run hot enough to get plenty of penatration. ive welded high pressure steam lines with 110 machines. im talking 3000lb steam with 4 1/2in walls, so it is def good enough to weld a 1 3/4in .105 wall tubing.\
thanks 4bangerhotrod.