PDA

View Full Version : Toyota 22 header?

youngengines
08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
What header do you guy's run on a 22r toyota? I have a customer with a celica chassis that needs one. Schoenfied doesnt have one,(my first choice for bang for buck). A 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 step would be nice. Thanks for any help, Barry

84Dave
08-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Barry....... look at/contact LCEngineering.com or DougThorleyHeaders.com . -Dave-

steveshawjr
08-09-2011, 03:30 PM
or if your any good you can make your own. I used pipe max thanks to the recommendation of Dave and other in the past it dose all the hard math for you :P

http://www.maxracesoftware.com

youngengines
08-09-2011, 04:01 PM
My customer is on a pretty tight budget (as most of us are). He has his old set to run, but there getting rough. I dont have time or equipment to build a header, I had a friend build mine for my car (Vega with SB2.2 heads). I was hoping someone made a decent header for a decent price. Schoenfield has one for a 3tc , just none for the 20 or 22's.

steveshawjr
08-09-2011, 07:22 PM
it cost me about 35 dollars to make mine and its a tuned header .

started off with a few year old set of latemodel headers i used for the mandrel bends i got for 25 bucks. and i went and got some 1/4 flat stock to make the flange just traced the gasket on it used a drill press a hole saw and a drill bit took me about 1hr to make the header.

an hr of time or $150 plus for a pre made non tuned header. it was worth the savings in my eyes .

just thought i would throw you the idea the best part about the software is now i can make and sell headers that are tuned at a cheeper cost than box headers and still make some extra cash for my race team

youngengines
08-09-2011, 08:45 PM
it cost me about 35 dollars to make mine and its a tuned header .

started off with a few year old set of latemodel headers i used for the mandrel bends i got for 25 bucks. and i went and got some 1/4 flat stock to make the flange just traced the gasket on it used a drill press a hole saw and a drill bit took me about 1hr to make the header.

an hr of time or $150 plus for a pre made non tuned header. it was worth the savings in my eyes .

just thought i would throw you the idea the best part about the software is now i can make and sell headers that are tuned at a cheeper cost than box headers and still make some extra cash for my race team

Sounds like you did great, and I appreciate the info. I hope I didnt come across as unappreciative. It would just be too much for me to do at this time, if it were my personal car, that would be different.(not that I've had time to work on it either, LOL) So, are you building headers for people now? Could you build a set for my customer? Thanks, Barry

steveshawjr
08-09-2011, 09:04 PM
i havent started making them for other people as of yet. looking to buy a mandrel bender so i don't have to buy used headers or pre bent mandrels and piece them together.

youngengines
08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
OK, good luck, and thanks for your input.

Tojo
08-11-2011, 09:03 AM
I have had good results with the Doug Thorley Tri Y. I purchased a couple of used ones at a reasonable price from Ebay and Craigslist. The headers are well made and seem to stand up well compared to some of the thin wall stuff on the market today.

Joe