PDA

View Full Version : help shifter ?

clowe20
08-09-2011, 09:27 PM
hope someone can help me here, i just purchased a pinto and its got a 4spd in it or i think its a 4spd n/e way , the shifter bolts on top with 3 bolts, an has a spring looking thing on the top side an the bottom that goes into the tranys has a upside down u shape to it like to prongs hang down, its got tons of slop n/e thing i can do to fix or what to look for to fix? new shifter maybe? the drivers seat an stuffs scooted back about a foot or so an the got a tire iron welded on it to extend back, i know its goofy and is horrible looking

ATOYOTA
08-09-2011, 10:40 PM
That's a mustang trans, just go JY and find another shifter.

Buckle
08-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I had the same problem. These shifters have a plastic insert that rides between the two prongs on the shifter where it contacts the rod in the trans. This might be more work, but if you can't find the plastic insert, I did some measuring to figure out the "slop factor" between the two pices, then welded one appropriately sized washer (inner side of prong) on each prong. Then I ground down to the same profile as the prong to fit with a little clearance to avoid binding. Been using it for 7 years now. Kinda unorthodox, but mustang parts are getting scarce around here and washers are cheap.

steveshawjr
08-10-2011, 08:58 PM
yours cant be as bad as mine lol im the only one that can get my car in and out of gear lol.

mines due to a hit i took last year when the engine mount bent and broke the tranny mount the after that my shifter was in a spot it couldn't go in gear and so on the fly at the track i just bent the shifter and ever sense slop. it didn't take much. thanks buckle for the idea now i got an idea how to fix mine up better Ive even tried moving the prongs closer together with no luck