PDA

View Full Version : Too much left rear spring?

jrkracing54
08-10-2011, 02:36 PM
What would too much left rear spring do to the car? I've been running a 250# left rear with a 225# right rear but was thinking of putting a 225 on the left rear just wondering what this would do. John 1*

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-10-2011, 03:45 PM
If your spring was stiff enough, the car wouldn't raise up very much on the lr. You would likely just be too stiff to properly handle imperfections in the track surface before that however. A 250# spring is certainly no where near being critical.

HuckleberryB4
08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Going softer on that spring will cause you to put an extra turn or two in the LR to get the correct bite and ride ht. back on that wheel. This will obviously cause the spring to compress more and it will want to unload that extra tension faster. So basically it will jump up on the bars faster and give you more "instant" bite.

dfhotlm33c
08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
somewhat off topic..but I know what NO LR spring does!! Ran last week 12 laps with no LR spring..my LR tire held up the body half the time!! I was pretty loose off I will tell you that!!!

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
somewhat off topic..but I know what NO LR spring does!! Ran last week 12 laps with no LR spring..my LR tire held up the body half the time!! I was pretty loose off I will tell you that!!!

If you could have kept the car barred up, you wouldn't have even missed it.

Egoracing
08-12-2011, 11:32 AM
If you could have kept the car barred up, you wouldn't have even missed it.

I watched a WOO race at East Bay one year where Smith lost the RF leading the race and NO one could touch him. The ONLY reason he did not win was about 1/2 way down the straight the rf was bouncing so bad that after about 20 laps the car was coming apart to the point the fuel cell was even loose and sliding all over in it's mounts. I think he still finished 1st or 2nd.

dirtdiggerracing
08-12-2011, 09:05 PM
lr spring depends alot on driver wieght the heavier driver needs less spring ! i know this sounds backward but a heavy driver put alot of lr weight in car which means you can't put as many rounds on it which means the spring will have slack or not be preloaded as much when rearend is dropped down ! the more preload in lr will= foward drive

jrkracing54
08-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Well I'm a pretty big guy, 230# so I guess I may benefit from a little less lr spring. Thanks for all the great posts guys. John 1*

Egoracing
08-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Well I'm a pretty big guy, 230# so I guess I may benefit from a little less lr spring. Thanks for all the great posts guys. John 1*

John Call me