PDA

View Full Version : Grinding tires

JB1K
08-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Question regarding when to grind tires - I have been in the habit of grinding them as close to race time as possible. Does it really make any difference weather its an hour, a day or a week before? It would be more convienyent to do it during the week rather than when we get to the track.

rubbinsracin
08-11-2011, 09:12 AM
we races saturday and normally grind them on thrusday nights. lately we have also been hitting them with a belt sander before the feature too. just to buff off any glaze the might be showing up.

also, not trying to steal the thread, but has anyone used one of those nail-head grinders? they look vicious and like they could take a ton of material off if you aren't really smooth.

SS Motorsports
08-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I have never ground a tire with anything but a variable speed polisher/buffer with a soft pad and 80 grit paper at a lower speed than most would. I personally have never seen an advantage of grinding at a higher speed with anything other than sandpaper.

dualdj1
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
the main advantage to one of the grinder type wheels is you don't have to worry about changing sandpaper ever. other than that about the same effect i believe.

pajamie
08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
im still trying to find out what the part number is of the backing pad i see guys using.. I use a 80 grit disk on a hardback pad.. I see others using the softer pad and I think it does a better job..

As far as those nail head attachments..I tried one and dont like it.. just seems to tear the tire up more then I like.. plus i would hate to see what would happen to my finger or hand if I got hit with it..