PDA

View Full Version : Need help diagnosing car handling

lpd1
08-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Ok on a real slick track shiney black befor it takes rubber, my car enters the corner ok not to tight i dont have to use the brakes to turn, so i drive in and i have to slow my corner speed down so the corner will hold me or the rr will slide out from neith me. And i can not touch the gas through the center or the rr will step out or i have to chase it up the hill?? And finaly once i get car heading straight it hooks up and takes off. So my question is there anything i can do to fix this issue or am i trying to make the car do something that it cant??? I know i cant just hammer the gas in the center when it gets slick but right now i cant even roll into the gas with out spinning. Im so confused right now i dont know if the car is lose or if its to tight on throttle??? If i slow down and dont tough the gas its seems to be decent but once i dare tought the gas in the center it tries to come right around. Thanks dave.

Egoracing
08-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Depending on several factors there could be a few things happening. Typically when you are loose it is the RR over driving the car and either breaking loose OR driving the RR around the rest of the car causing it the get loose. You could try adding drive to the LR to make the LR drive the car more. If your chase up the hill is caused by a push this may make it worse. If you want to try it and are a 4 link floated drop the LR bottom bar on the frame one hole. This will tighten the car all the way thru the corner BUT it will be most noticeable from the center off on the gas.

Matt49
08-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Ego's suggestion is very good. Drop your bottom left bar down on the frame. Instant drive will pick up as you throttle up.
Another thing we have found that helps with the symptom you describe is shortening the right side wheel base by taking a few turns (anywhere from 2-5) out of the right side bars. When you say you are "chasing it up the hill" this is because you have dynamic roll steer and you're steering the wheel to the right. All four tires end up pointing to the right so you do the math. Taking some static rear steer OUT can really help get rid of this problem.
You'll want to do this on the scales because turning both bars equal turns will index the birdcage differently and potentially unload the RR spring which will add some bite to the car. Depending on your bar angles, you'll have to make a correction to one bar length or the other. There is no magic number so you'll just have to do your homework in the shop if that's an adjustment you want to make at the track.

lpd1
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
thanks for the help, i have shorten the right side a 1/2 so far, my car even when the track is heavy i feel like when i throttle up i can really feel the rr trying to turn the car down hill.

Matt49
08-12-2011, 02:18 PM
You might have to experiment to figure out what it needs but if you've got your car turning really well in the heavy stuff you should also consider dropping your top right bar a little as track slicks off. If it still wants to jump up on the RR and turn you around, you might try more rebound in the RR shock. This will hold the RR down and keep it from climbing the bars as fast off the corner which will make you tighter off the corner.

4bangerhotrod
08-12-2011, 08:55 PM
what kind of car is this, in your message to me you was talking like it was a sidebite issue, like the rr just wouldnt stick and just wanted to skate up the track. so is the car wanting to spin out when you touch the gas or is the car wanting to skate up the track.

charcoal01
08-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Have you tried chaining up the rr? It will help hold wedge in the car and keep the rr frpm developing so much drive. It's an adjustment that only affects on throttle handling, which sounds like your problem.