PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan

JAMESGANGRACING
08-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Will the speedway claimer and champ style pans fit in a metric car?

Egoracing
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Will the speedway claimer and champ style pans fit in a metric car?

I have seen several of the claimer pans with the trap doors in backwards so check it out!!

Dirtrunner35
08-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I had a cheapy speedway claimer pan split open where it was bent to make the box after 3 races. I didn't have a oil pressure light at the time and it cost me a lot of money.

Chaps46
08-12-2011, 09:31 PM
I have a speedway special on my car right now. The motor is raised about an 1.5" and it barely clears the cross member and drag link. I've also got a leaker like others have described. Not bad but enough to be annoying and leave a spot on the garage floor everyweek. I'll definitely buy a little higher quality pan next time I'm in the market for one.

JAMESGANGRACING
08-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Maybe i should re-phrase this -what oil pan would be the one to use?

roybeckett13j
08-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Ive run a speedway pan on my car for a few years with no problems. welds looked good, decent mig welds...nothing tig'ged. the only time it leaked was after I sent a rod through it!

bushracing67
08-14-2011, 10:10 AM
spend the money on a canton and never look back... i scattered one and it dented the pan, never came close to putting the rod thru it, the pan is so heavy you dont really need a skid plate

stock car driver
08-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Ive run a speedway pan on my car for a few years with no problems. welds looked good, decent mig welds...nothing tig'ged. the only time it leaked was after I sent a rod through it!

I think your lucky, Ive had no less than 10 speedway pans over the years and at least half of them have leaked, even way back when I ran on pavement we were welding up leaks in them etc.

I tried adding a few welds inside the speedway and kevko pans to secure the gates better in hopes they wouldnt vibrate and cause the spot welds to break and it didnt work for me. Thats why Ive moved on to the moroso pans.

Canton are clearly nice pans, they are very very heavy, I had one of them come in a turnkey car I bought last winter. I sold that pan with the motor because the sump was longer and it wouldnt let me drop the motor in and out with the headers on etc.

roybeckett13j
08-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Ive never had much issues with stuff vibrating loose. But, the 355 I had...before it ate it self...would have a little jerk at idle. but above 1500 you could prolly balance a pencil on the air cleaner and it would never fall over. but, I spent a good chunk of money to get it balanced that good.

raceman17
08-15-2011, 07:47 AM
I run the speedway pan on my car. My motor is set back in the car behind the cross member so I dont have any clearance issues. I've purcahsed three of these pans over the past 3 years. The first pan I had some issues with. The spot welds on the bottom of pan that holds the gates into the bottom broke loose and left three holes in the bottom of the pan. I needed a quick fix because of a race the following day so i just pushed up on the bottom of the pan with the jack and tacked the holes closed again and then put some rtv on the spot welds for insurance. I sent that pan back to speedway and they replaced the pan for free.

On the other two pans I bought I ended up making a nice skid plate the runs from the vary front of the pan on back to the back of the pan. I tig welded 360 degrees around the bottom of the pan with a piece of .095 steel plate and then I added a small piece from the front of the pan on back to the bottom of the pan. I also reloacted the drain plug closer to the bottom of the pan because it comes from the factory about 3/4" off the bottom. It ended up looking pretty sharp and no leaks!