PDA

View Full Version : GRT late model not hiking up?

guidi
08-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I have an older grt late model and the only time it will climb on the bars is under hard throttle on a heavy track? there is nothing bound up on the rear, any fresh ideas would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

car23
08-14-2011, 08:47 PM
lower your j bar all the way down on your pinion and raise it all the way on the frame. make sure rearend is square or you have it pulled in a 1/4 to 1/2 on the left side. check your 5the coil shock and make sure it isnt froze u you need about 3in or better of travel. a 5th coil spring that is to stiff will cause this. try a 300lb or a 280. we never ran anything but a 400lb until we backed up to limited and crate. especially if u dont have a big hp motor. i hope u are not trying to run that older double spring afco deal if u are junk it. trust me on this. get u a split valve shock that grt calls for. raise your top bars. what springs u running on rear?

guidi
08-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I maxed out on the jbar, I was running a 73 shock, with a 300lb spring. What about going to a 74-6 shock with a 300lb spring, also I have a shorter lift arm I was going to put on it? thoughts?

Graff Spee
08-15-2011, 10:01 PM
I think shocks would be a factor that I would look into.

car23
08-16-2011, 09:30 PM
73-6 shock. check your birdcages for bind as was suggested and check all shocks. also are u running a chain on left rear and how are u setting it? what kind of hp u got/ all steel, all alum? how much do u weigh? i had a 2002 floating x grt twister so i can relate. just got rid of it 2 weeks ago.

sj valley dave
08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
We have taken the shocks off the car and put a floor jack under it and used our arms and moved the rear end through all kinds of motions to make sure we were not egtting into a heim bind or anything. It should get right up on the bars..You run LR shock behind axle, what is the valving on that shock?

pcope98
08-22-2011, 07:01 PM
this may sound stupid what trans you running and how longs your driveshaft, i had one that did the same dang thing and it had an older bert with short spline output shaft, the yoke would bottom out way before it would hit the rear seal just a thought, do you have a drop mount on the left rear shock? food for thought.

sj valley dave
08-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Good point PCope98...We run a 2" drop mount on our LR to make sure the chain does it thing before the shock tops out..Also we have an older under slung car and we cut the straight bar out and welded in a shallow U shaped to replace it so we can get more rear drop than before...might help..