PDA

View Full Version : AFCO SHock Question

SteveHansen06
08-15-2011, 06:16 AM
I have come across so me AFCO shocks and wondered what the valving means and what application would they be used. They are -

94-0
94-5
94-8
93-5

Thy are the old threaded body shocks - I use to have a sheet explaining what the valving meant and where they worked best but I have lost it. Trying to get back in the racing deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Egoracing
08-15-2011, 06:47 AM
9 inch shock and the first number after the 9 is the compression and the number after the dash is the rebound. The best thing to do is have them checked though because the actual numbers may be off of the ones advertised.

SteveHansen06
08-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks Ego. I did know that the 9 was for the 9 inch shock I just didn't know what the final numbers represented. Thanks again!

dualdj1
08-15-2011, 01:30 PM
yeah get them dyno'd. 0 should be softest, 9 stiff

Matt49
08-15-2011, 05:04 PM
If the numbers are right, the 4-0 could work on the LR in front of the birdcage with like a 7/3 behind the birdcage (spring behind). The others could be used on the RR in slick track conditions (the 4-8 might be questionable).

SteveHansen06
08-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks everyone!! I double checked and the one shock is a 94-8 trying to move the shock by hand - it almost feels like a tie down shock.

dualdj1
08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
yeah 4-8 could be RF tie down.

bwels25
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
yeah 4-8 could be RF tie down.

4-8 could be a RF tie down but I think they are all 9" shocks?

rubbinsracin
08-16-2011, 03:37 PM
a 9" 4-8 could be used on the RR on to help tighten the middle, but i think a 4-8 would be awfully severe and affect other parts of the corner too.

tommy2fast
01-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I have an afco 9" shock for my late model i just purchased and i'm trying to figure out the valving.
one afco on the LR is numbered 1393 is this a 3 valve?
i have a carrera that is numbered 6193 im assuming it is a 3 as well? LF shock
then the other two carrera shocks just have 5 and 4 stamped on the top
can anyone help me the the 4 digit numbers?

Matt49
01-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Not positive on the Carrera as I've never really dealt with those but the 1393 Afco is a "13 Series" shock with a 9 inch stroke and a 3 valve in compression and rebound. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what it really is as someone could have had them custom valved. By the sound of it, you picked up and old car and/or some old shocks. Not many late models these days are running on straight valved shocks. Almost everything is split valve meaning one valving in compression and something different in rebound. Twin-tube/oil shocks are also starting to become fewer and further between.
Some of the best money you'll spend in racing is with a shock expert to get your program going the right direction.

tommy2fast
01-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Not positive on the Carrera as I've never really dealt with those but the 1393 Afco is a "13 Series" shock with a 9 inch stroke and a 3 valve in compression and rebound. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what it really is as someone could have had them custom valved. By the sound of it, you picked up and old car and/or some old shocks. Not many late models these days are running on straight valved shocks. Almost everything is split valve meaning one valving in compression and something different in rebound. Twin-tube/oil shocks are also starting to become fewer and further between.
Some of the best money you'll spend in racing is with a shock expert to get your program going the right direction.

Yea this is an old late model i plan on running a series we have around here which is a steel block late model. Just wonder what i had. Thank you.

sobe92
01-13-2012, 08:05 PM
your best bet is going to be find someone that can dyno those for you. a carrera 3 and an afco 3 will not be the same valving and will not be the same feel to the driver either.

different shock companies use different ways to reach a valving number that is why most have gone away from the generic 3,4,5 because so and so's 3 is not the same as the other guys 3. could be 75 to 100lbs at certain shaft speeds different.

I'm not saying you need new shocks just know what you have that way you know where it would best be suited.

have them dynoed and get the peak numbers at 1, 3, 6 inches a second that will give you an idea of what you have and the curve style.