PDA

View Full Version : tire temps

shadowj38
08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
i run american racers and im having trouble deciding when i should put the sd 38's on instead of the sd 33's. i was wondering how high of a temp you can run a 33 and for how long before it will start to "go away". any help of opinions will be appreciated. thanks

racinrocket1
08-15-2011, 03:03 PM
i believe the temp is right around 160 but i would have to look in my book tomake sure... im not a big fan of the 33's so i dont run them much, when i do run them they are on the LR ONLY for heats then they come right off for the feature.

4bangerhotrod
08-15-2011, 03:26 PM
im not a big fan of the 38's i usually run 23's in the heats if there 8 laps or less and the track is still hooked up or will run 33's if the track is starting to blow dust or dry and getting slick. the only time i run 38's is if the track is still tacky and has moisture for a short feature. If the track is blowing dust we usually go straight from the 23's or 33's to 44's or a 44lr 48rr if its a little longer feature. 90 percent of the time i can work the 44's over and they will be come in just as quick as the 38's and dont have to worry about them going away. even when testing as long as the track didnt have much moisture in it we could always get the 44's to have quicker lap times than the 38's. the 38's are a diff rubber, we dont even get 38's any more we just have a old set we keep around just in case. if the track is tacky for a feature on a short track we will usually run 33's if its 25 laps or less.
thanks 4bangerhotrod

shadowj38
08-16-2011, 11:40 AM
if i go to a 44 on my rr then how should i prep it to get it to fire off as soon as possilbe so im not losing positions waitin for it to come in?

rubbinsracin
08-16-2011, 12:05 PM
do your rules prohibit any thing? obviously you probably cant "treat" the tires, but i would start by hitting them with a sander to buff them so they fire right away. i was told a few weeks ago was mount the tire and put about 25lbs of pressure in it and buff it with a sander to get the glaze off and baste it with some simple green and put one wrap of suran wrap around that and let it sit overnight. but i havent tried it. afraid it will soften the tire to much and i wont get the life i need out of it. i cant afford to buy tires by once ever 3-4 weeks.

shadowj38
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
i can do anything but treat. i have also heard that but havent tried it. i was talkin more along the lines of grooving and siping. i know sipes will make it fire quicker. but how many sipes and how deep should i go?

rubbinsracin
08-16-2011, 03:35 PM
well we are required to run hoosier wrs2's and we like to sipe them in a checkerboard pattern about an 1/8" deep make sure they sipes have just room in between them. we like to sick to about 1/4" to 3/8" so the tire heats and cools as evenly as possible.

racinrocket1
08-16-2011, 08:10 PM
NO need to pump it up to 25 lbs just put it at 10lbs or what ever you run it at and use a 80 grit flap disc on a multi speed grinder.... as far as cutting the tire cut every link with a # 2 blade and sipe it the same way you cut it that will help get more heat in it quicker and give you more edges which you need... another thing you can do after you run them scrub then with mean green or purple power it will make them like new... make sure you cut the tire first then grind it before you run it to be sure you get then factory glaze off it...

shadowj38
08-17-2011, 01:48 AM
thanks for the help

racinground
08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
don't sipe to deep. the deeper the sipe the hotter the tire will get. good chance of burning it up. we found that the GTs work really good on LR and RR in all compounds. the 44s are the best tires they seem to work on alot of diffrent tracks. 3 or 4 shallow sipes should work.