PDA

View Full Version : Red line oil

FF21
08-20-2011, 07:48 AM
What is your opinions on this oil?I have been using the Joe Gibbs stuff but it has done got outrageous on price.Do you have any other opinions on a oil to use?Thanks Rick

rubbinsracin
08-20-2011, 09:50 AM
we have used it in the past. good stuff. ill probably hear alot of guff about this, but we have used off the shelf oil from NAPA in our 11-1 steelhead for 2 1/2 years now. we just go ahead and replace one quart with some lucas. we have never had any problem with it. we replace our oil every 5-6 races. so about 4 times a summer. we save a ton of money by doing it this way.

the kid that parks next to us runs a 604 that he only changes the Mobil1 oil half way through the year. this motor is at the end of its 3rd year and has never had any problems.

joedoozer
08-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Lucas makes an oil additive with zinc and phos in it. It is used for engine break in, but it can be used with off the shelf oil for flat tappet motors. You can do the math to figure out how much you need for your system. I need 3 oz of it to get zinc and phos over 2000 ppm. I drain a little of the oil out into a white bucket after every race just to take a look at it. Change it every 5 to 6 races. The oil is always still gold in color when I change it. We'll see what the bearings look like after the season.

Dirtman29
08-20-2011, 12:27 PM
we have used it in the past. good stuff. ill probably hear alot of guff about this, but we have used off the shelf oil from NAPA in our 11-1 steelhead for 2 1/2 years now. we just go ahead and replace one quart with some lucas. we have never had any problem with it. we replace our oil every 5-6 races. so about 4 times a summer. we save a ton of money by doing it this way.

the kid that parks next to us runs a 604 that he only changes the Mobil1 oil half way through the year. this motor is at the end of its 3rd year and has never had any problems.I use the NAPA oil as well, in my 2.3L four banger & never had any problems. Close to 7K every nite with it.

In my SS (406) I use the Kendall 20W50 from autozone, $4.49/qt. Says it has zinc added for racing engines. Only ran the car twice so far this year, but I know others who use it with no problems.

usafracer
08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Dello 400 15-40 in for years now and never had a problem.

4bangerhotrod
08-20-2011, 09:10 PM
pennzoil racing oil, its cheap and has the zinc in it and the engines look better than any oil weve ever run when we freshen after 1500-1800 laps

Chaps46
08-21-2011, 07:37 AM
In my SS (406) I use the Kendall 20W50 from autozone, $4.49/qt. Says it has zinc added for racing engines. Only ran the car twice so far this year, but I know others who use it with no problems.

I just switched to Kendall in my 355. I've ran Valvoline VR1 for years but after the first night of racing I would always loose 10-15 lbs of oil pressure and hot after the race the thing would barely hold 10-15 lbs. Using the Kendal I've gained back my cold and hot pressure.

Graff Spee
08-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Just make sure you use a good quality oil. It is cheap insurance! Amsoil has done me well, as has Mobil 1.

Egoracing
08-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Just make sure you use a good quality oil. It is cheap insurance! Amsoil has done me well, as has Mobil 1.

It always amazes me how people will spend $40 a a "special" set of carb jets or $50 on "special" plugs or pay $8+ a gallon for fuel to make more power but then they do not understand that they need good oil. It will keep the engine running better longer AND free up HP that they will spend a ton of money to try to find later!

parrot69777
08-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Think I will just stick with Brad Penn.

powerslide
08-21-2011, 10:08 PM

agreed $55 for a case thats about 4.60 a piece and i run mine 4-5nites drain and put it in the truck.

rubbinsracin
08-22-2011, 10:07 AM
its always interesting to see what everyone puts in their motor that "keeps it running like new" lol like i said, we just run napa gold with some additive. when we tear our motor down at the end of the year, each year, we think "wow we could just reuse these bearings and never have any trouble". this year we decided not to tear it down. and the motor still runs as strong as ever. we figure that crates can run 2 or 3 years before something needs to be done. so our "semi-professionally" rebuilt motor can do the same

Graff Spee
08-24-2011, 10:48 PM
its always interesting to see what everyone puts in their motor that "keeps it running like new" lol like i said, we just run napa gold with some additive. when we tear our motor down at the end of the year, each year, we think "wow we could just reuse these bearings and never have any trouble". this year we decided not to tear it down. and the motor still runs as strong as ever. we figure that crates can run 2 or 3 years before something needs to be done. so our "semi-professionally" rebuilt motor can do the same

I am not as smart as you. I will stay with what I have had good luck with. I know a guy who uses Delvac synthetic truck oil with great success. Its good to see that you are thinking beyond some of us. Good luck!

Egoracing
08-25-2011, 06:29 AM

Many crate racers are running synthetic to try to get the most out of the motors and depending on the races many need attention after 2 years only turning 64oo or so rpm.

rubbinsracin
08-25-2011, 09:14 AM
im not saying im right or anyone else is wrong. i just said it was interesting to see what everyone uses. i get years out of a motor with my napa oil. someone else might get years out of a motor on Joe Gibbs, Red Line, Mobil1, or any of the other 1000 brands out there. I think that choosing your oil should come after careful thought. hell this saturday i saw a guy who is leading a traveling series with late models put good ole regular green quaker state 20w50 into his motor.

cassellracing24
09-02-2011, 11:51 AM
It always amazes me how people will spend $40 a a "special" set of carb jets or $50 on "special" plugs or pay $8+ a gallon for fuel to make more power but then they do not understand that they need good oil. It will keep the engine running better longer AND free up HP that they will spend a ton of money to try to find later!

Agree !! :confused:

cassellracing24
09-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Deff Agree .... :D

rubbinsracin
09-02-2011, 01:42 PM
filter question. we run the wix filter but its the short one. what is the advantage of running the bigger one?

powerslide
09-02-2011, 02:10 PM
i would also like to know what the difference is between 51060 vs 51061 wix filters?

rubbinsracin
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
i know we have always ran the short one because it keeps it up off the ground. but other that more volume of oil and a larger area for the oil to filter i cant think of what would be the benefit. and the added volume of oil could only amount to a 1/4 of a qrt or so

usafracer
09-02-2011, 07:05 PM
i would also like to know what the difference is between 51060 vs 51061 wix filters?

The 1060 has an anti drain back valve and the 1061 does not.

modified9
09-02-2011, 08:22 PM
use short filter oil wont run uphill

roybeckett13j
09-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I run AMSoil in my car, change it once halfway through the season...see less wear than when I ran Brad Penn. Has a really...really high burnoff temp, and helps free up some power. Yes...its more expensive...but what if a couple more bucks a quart in oil...when your running a $6k+ race engine...CHEAP insurance.

If your interested in some, shoot me a message! Ill cut ya a decent price.

doitall
10-08-2011, 08:05 PM
if your oil has an API circle on bottle do not use in flat tappet engine unless you add a zddp additive. It does not have enough zinc. Flat tappet engines need a minimum of 1600 ppm of zinc.Race flat tappet engines need 2000 ppm.

joedoozer
10-11-2011, 09:02 AM
I just posted this on another oil question thread.

Here is a great site and forum for oil.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

The Oil Analysis Reports in the forum are really good info.

Redline has a great site. I have a problem buying an oil when the company doesn't openly show the levels of whats in it. This is an impressive oil. Zinc and Phos well over 2000, and a Flash point of over 500 degrees.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=14&pcid=1

cassellracing24
10-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I run AMSoil in my car, change it once halfway through the season...see less wear than when I ran Brad Penn. Has a really...really high burnoff temp, and helps free up some power. Yes...its more expensive...but what if a couple more bucks a quart in oil...when your running a $6k+ race engine...CHEAP insurance.

If your interested in some, shoot me a message! Ill cut ya a decent price.

Are you trying to give people good honest feedback?? Or trying to sell your product?? How do you know that Redline gives you less wear than Penn?? Are you a machinist?? And how do you know it frees up HP?? Have you compared back to back dyno pulls?? You can look back on my post as I'm sure you will & see that I have never said Penn is better than xxx. Penn,Gibbs,Purple,Amsoil,Redline,Lucas,Shaffers,Mo bil1 all offer pretty much the same protection when it comes to "RACING OIL". Some people prefer Ford\Chevy, some prefer Penn\Gibbs & all can & will win. But when you have Chad Mullins running Penn only in his 9200rpm $18K Modified engines how can you go wrong?? Just saying....:mad:

papa
10-23-2011, 07:13 PM
has anybdoy tried to run motorcycle oil? my engine builder suggest that to me.

ThrowInDirt
11-16-2011, 07:15 PM

There both the same besides the burst pressure is different between the two...51060 is 270 psi and 51061 is 285 psi

ThrowInDirt
11-16-2011, 07:23 PM

There both the same besides the burst pressure is different between the two...51060 is 270 psi and 51061 is 285 psi

cassellracing24
11-24-2011, 11:00 PM
51060 has a anti-drain back valve
51061 does not
A anti-drain back valve is only needed when running a oil cooler mounted higher then filter.....

However !! the non "R" filters only flow a max 9-11GPM (depending on oil viscosity)
As where the 51060R,51061R,51069R will flow 28GPM & are specifically made for racing duty above 6,000 RPM........