PDA

View Full Version : Starter won't stop working

Dirksracing
08-20-2011, 03:12 PM
When the battery starts getting low and I try to start to car the starter wont stop spinning after I release the push button. I have replaced the push button, switches, wires and solenoid. It even does it after unhooking the push button from the solenoid and positive to the switch panel. I dont have a kill switch but i did same thing when I had one in it. I'm stuck on what else it could be. any help would be appreciated.

hot_rod
08-20-2011, 04:37 PM
From my experience with working on and wiring race cars. This applies to a ford remote starter solenoid. When the battery voltage drops to low, there isnt enough voltage to release the solenoid so the starter just keeps going. The ford remote solenoid is an electrical relay, and it works by having a low amperage input signal that activates an internal switch. The internal switch closes and allows the high amperage to come from the battery down to the starter. If you had a kill switch in place and wiried in correctly it should of killed the starter. I have also had to hit the starter solenoid with a hammer to get it to release. Its hard to say exactly what the problem is without looking at how it is wired or checking the voltage on the battery. I personnally havent checked the voltage on the battery when this has happened to me, but I know charging the battery fixed it. Hope it helps. I dont mean to demean anyone with the electrical lesson but some people dont know that much about electronics.

4bangerhotrod
08-20-2011, 09:22 PM
id say replace your solenoid. ive never had one do this and it would be cheaper to buy a new solenoid than to buy a kill switch to put in for the starter.
thanks,
4bangerhotrod

dirty white boy
08-21-2011, 02:14 AM
bendex could be "locking in" an that would keep solenoid in contact with power so motor would keep turning,...but my money on just a bad solenoid....try takin positive cable off an loose'in lock nut an spinning post a half a round an put cable back on an see if it still dose it....lil button inside probably hammered up pretty good....cheap soft copper button,dont make um like thay use too

usafracer
08-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Low current causes excess heat and can cause parts to stick.

dirty white boy
08-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Low current causes excess heat and can cause parts to stick.

an easier to distort when hard contact is applied repeatedly...

Egoracing
08-22-2011, 07:19 AM
How is it wired??? I have seen people who did not know how to wire a car wire the switch to trip the remote sol and then the trigger wire went to the Chevy starters sol.
The "start" switch should have a power wire to the switch then to the remote solenoid. The battery cable should run from the battery to the remote sol and then to the Chevy starters sol large connector and a small wire from there to the start terminal on the sol at the starter.
Wiring it wrong increases the amperage load and will cause the Chevy starters sol to stick and hold the Bendix engaged.