PDA

View Full Version : Msd help please!!!!

20fan20
08-24-2011, 08:10 AM
I started my car yesterday to pull into the garage and it just quit running didn't miss didn't do anything... I pulled plug wire no fire.. I've got power to the 6al but no power goin to the coil.. Does this mean my box is bad.. This is my 2nd box but the last box gave me warning buy missing like crazy... Any ideas what is causing this?

powerslide
08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
To test if the box is bad.

unplug the purple and green wires that go to the dist. find a jumper wire. Remove coil wire from dist place screw driver in coil wire and close to a ground on the chassis. Turn on ignition switch Use jumper wire and go from purple to green we unplugged from the dist to the other side. It should jumper fire at the coil wire.

video is way easier to understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qb9JxX-mLg&feature=youtu.be

I fought this couple weeks ago. Good luck!!

20fan20
08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
I done the test and no spark... Should there be power going to the orange wire goin to the top of the coil?

powerslide
08-24-2011, 10:39 AM
No 12v present at Coil +
1.One common question in regards to MSD Ignition controls is “Why isn’t 12V power on the orange (COIL +) wire?”
The main reason 12V won’t be present at coil + is because your MSD ignition is a Capacitive Discharge Ignition. Like all CD ignitions they use a large capacitor to discharge 420-480 Volts to coil + and coil – will normally be connected to ground. (That’s why you wont see +12V on coil +)

2.Most all stock ignitions are Inductive Ignitions, these will normally be connected to the + 12V ignition switch to coil + and coil – is connected to Points or the Factory Electronic Module. (That’s why you’ll see +12V on coil +)

Out of curiosity does your box still make that high pitch spark noise like in the video?

ep33510
08-24-2011, 02:09 PM
20fan20

Check to make sure the Small Red wire has battery voltage that never drifts. This wire tells the box its time to play. The Orange wire will never have voltage present until the high voltage section of the circuit board fires the coil. When you did the test you need to make sure you short the purple & green wire and pull the short. Only then will the box fire if its going to. If you have done all this then you box needs to be looked at. If you want we do repairs on the MSD boxes we can look at it for you if you wish.

Pat Collins

TechWest Racing Services

704-995-4286
techwest@techwestracing.com
www.techwestracing.com

powerslide
08-24-2011, 03:00 PM
20fan20

Check to make sure the Small Red wire has battery voltage that never drifts. This wire tells the box its time to play. The Orange wire will never have voltage present until the high voltage section of the circuit board fires the coil. When you did the test you need to make sure you short the purple & green wire and pull the short. Only then will the box fire if its going to. If you have done all this then you box needs to be looked at. If you want we do repairs on the MSD boxes we can look at it for you if you wish.

Pat Collins

TechWest Racing Services

704-995-4286
techwest@techwestracing.com
www.techwestracing.com

Hey pat,

i asked this over on the msd site no answer yet.
I did the test the way they say to do it and no spark at my coil wire.... But my box does make a high pitched noise i looked all around the box thinking maybe a wire was broke couldnt find anything.

My question is if the box is making that noise is it still good or is it shorting out inside because some little connection is broke?

ep33510
08-24-2011, 04:01 PM
powerslide

The buzzing would usually indicate arcing going on inside the box. I usually see it around the Red capacitor, the common issue is one of the leads of the capacitor has broken off. If you pop the cover off and look for a burning type smell as the cover is removed. That would be a typical failure we see all the time, at least one of the top ten! :)

Pat Collins

TechWest Racing Services

mudeater18
08-24-2011, 07:31 PM
To test if the box is bad.

unplug the purple and green wires that go to the dist. find a jumper wire. Remove coil wire from dist place screw driver in coil wire and close to a ground on the chassis. Turn on ignition switch Use jumper wire and go from purple to green we unplugged from the dist to the other side. It should jumper fire at the coil wire.

video is way easier to understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qb9JxX-mLg&feature=youtu.be

I fought this couple weeks ago. Good luck!!

Good info. Thanks !

powerslide
08-25-2011, 07:35 AM
powerslide

The buzzing would usually indicate arcing going on inside the box. I usually see it around the Red capacitor, the common issue is one of the leads of the capacitor has broken off. If you pop the cover off and look for a burning type smell as the cover is removed. That would be a typical failure we see all the time, at least one of the top ten! :)

Pat Collins

TechWest Racing Services

i know everyone says dont weld w/ the msd hooked up...

Would this be the type of damaged received if you welded on a frame w/o unhooking it? And how much does it cost to get that repaired?

ep33510
08-25-2011, 07:52 AM
powerslide

Short answer, Yes it is the type of damage from welding. You need to lift the Large Red wire & Large Black wire to keep the energy spikes from the welder reaching the MSD box. The typical charge is $95 total which includes returning the toy back home.

Pat Collins

TechWest Racing Services

704-995-4286

powerslide
08-25-2011, 11:37 AM
appreciate your help pat. when i get some extra cash will be sending you a box to get fixed

ortman18
08-29-2011, 02:57 PM
i had a box go bad in the line up shoot this year car just shut off can happen

ultramax25
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey Pat, left you a voicemail late today. looking for the part # for the aftermarket coils from the zone,advance,ect. that will work with a 6AL box? thanks for you help!!!! Brian

powerslide
08-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Carquest # is FD-478 or Autozone C-839
88-91 mustang 5.0 will get you the right part