PDA

View Full Version : Radiator losing water?

jrkracing54
08-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Last race my car pushed out about 1/3 of the radiator contents. Water temp gauge never got above 210. I currently have a double pass radiator (not my favorite). I'm replacing the temp gauge and radiator cap this week. Track was locked down with only 1 caution in a 25 lap feature. Anybody else had anything like this happen? I thought maybe the radiator was creating extra pressure from the double pass? Just seems odd. I have a 50 lapper this weekend so I'm kinda concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. John 1*

Egoracing
08-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Last race my car pushed out about 1/3 of the radiator contents. Water temp gauge never got above 210. I currently have a double pass radiator (not my favorite). I'm replacing the temp gauge and radiator cap this week. Track was locked down with only 1 caution in a 25 lap feature. Anybody else had anything like this happen? I thought maybe the radiator was creating extra pressure from the double pass? Just seems odd. I have a 50 lapper this weekend so I'm kinda concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. John 1*

A double pass requires MUCH more pressure to flow the same amount of water as a single pass. What pressure cap are you running? If it is a 28-33lb I would replace it and put in an overflow bottle to catch some of the excess. Ideal would be put a catch can with a 33lb cap and a 28 on the radiator.
http://allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=20

Bottom hose to the engine or water neck and the top hose to the radiator overflow line and mount it with the top higher than the radiator. This will allow it to blow into the tank which will be hooked to the water supply to keep it in the system. It will also remove any air from the system easier as once the air hits the catch can it will not re-enter the system.

Graff Spee
08-28-2011, 07:09 PM
A Radiator is never full to the top anyhow. you need an air gap for expansion. Usually when you fill up the radiator the engine will belch out what it doesnt want in the radiator after a race or so. I do agree with the overflow tank.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Hate to suggest some bad news, but you could have a head gasket leaking too.

powerslide
08-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Hate to suggest some bad news, but you could have a head gasket leaking too.

thats what i was thinking... mine did that for ALONG time it was just a old double hump motor w/ cheap parts and never really got hot so i just kept running it. It got to the point where you could put your hand in front of the header and it was wet so had to retire her.

RW57
08-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Had a friend had a motor do this turned out 1 cyl that been sleeved had a tiny pinhole right at the top of it our engine builder had to pressurize the heck out of it to find it it was right at top of cylinder above ring land on piston put in new sleeve good as new.

jrkracing54
08-31-2011, 08:17 AM
I filled the radiator yesterday to see how much was gone. It turned out to be less than a liter. I'm guessing that was just from expansion. I guess I tend to put too much water in. Thanks for all the help. I initially thought it was more water than that.
John 1*