PDA

View Full Version : caster settings

keeter57
08-29-2011, 08:27 PM
What are good settings for caster on a 76 monte carlo.Reason for asking is we are having a hard time hooking up on dryslick,rr tire is overheating .tire temps after race is ----rf-112*---rr175*---lr114*---lf109* thinking some caster may help!

Dirtrunner35
08-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Caster will help, but other things will help better. Give more details about car.

Graff Spee
08-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Caster adds feel to the driver. You should run enough caster so that you are not tired after a race but you did work. We run 7 on the rt front. I looked at your temps and it looks like you are loose for sure.You may need more rear stagger too. I would put more cross in it. You could increase the front spring rates or decrease the rear spring rates. The lft rear is 28% to cold!!! Put in some cross and go win a feature!!!!!!!

Chaps46
08-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Caster or a caster split does help driver feel on turn in and counter steer. There is some weight jacking effect with running more or less caster but it's probably one of the last things I would use as a tuning tool for no forward bite. JMO

keeter57
08-30-2011, 08:56 AM
we have a 250 lr 225 rr 1100 rf 1000 lf,53% ls,53% cross,52% rear,2"" stagger in rear,2"" stagger in front,93 shock lr,93 shock rr,5-3 shoch rf,74 shock lf,running 16 psi rr,15 psi rf,14 psi lf,14 psi lr.3200 lb car ,76 monte carlo frame,ride heights,lf-6"",rf 6 1/4, rr 7'' ,lr 7''.

SRXSRULE
08-30-2011, 08:02 PM
whats the current caster settings? I like to shoot for around 2.5-3.0 of split. So something like +2 LF and +5 RF.

You might also try taking some stagger out of the rear and then re-scaling the car to get your %'s back. Eric

keeter57
08-31-2011, 09:07 AM
We have been told to add 25# across the rear on springs because the car is rolling over a lot on the rr but not biting.they say it needs a heavier spring to put more weight on that tire.Any responses on this?We feel like we arent far off,he has been bad fast in the heat when there is some moisture but on dryslick it dont bite as good.he is running 2nd to 3rd but if we could put it all to the ground he could win big time.

SRXSRULE
08-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Whats the corner weights? How much rear Bite is in the car?

Stiffer rear springs will help to try and plant the RR harder but at 225 now on the RR you are pretty close. Going to 275/250 on the rear would be worth trying.

I still think 2" of rear stagger is too much on a dry slick track. Eric

keeter57
09-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I agree we are gonna reduce that some to about an inch.We changed the springs to 275/250 gonna give it a shot.The problem with stagger is getting those stupid e-mod tires to end up where you need them to.After the spring change the ride heights are rr7.5lr7.0lf6.0rf6.5 and the rear bite is 250lbs,exactly where we had it with the other springs.Im hoping it will be a little tight on a tacky track and the track will come to us later on.Thanks for all the input guys ,we"ll let you know what happens after friday night.Corner weights are lf-812 rf-806 rr-728 lr-978

3dracer
09-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Maybe need to bump up a little on the rear.

The stagger depends on the track shape more than how slick it is. Our tracks are always slick and dusty. One track takes 3" to turn the car, and the other track takes about 1.25".

You are close...

Animalgfx
09-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Maybe need to bump up a little on the rear.

The stagger depends on the track shape more than how slick it is. Our tracks are always slick and dusty. One track takes 3" to turn the car, and the other track takes about 1.25".

You are close...

We are struggling with pretty much the same issue as keeter57...
And I have guys trying to help one is saying STAGGER... the other Says NO... Whats the difference in the tracks youre running? Just curious...

Graff Spee
09-03-2011, 06:00 PM
The larger the caster split the more the car will turn in on its own. The car will turn toward the lower setting. Left side lower caster setting than the right, the car goes left! Set it at one to two degree split. Any more than that and you will be fighting the wheel down the straits. If you run stagger in the front you will see that when you apply the brakes the smaller wheel will pull the car into the turn. Try to keep the front wheels at the stagger you set up the car with. That way you will not upset the cross weight and introtuce new problems.

keeter57
09-04-2011, 11:42 PM
We were bad fast in heat no one could touch him,started pole in the feature was leading the race ,rotor button broke in distributor,I believe he would have won but as our luck goes ,not this time!!!!We will try again next weekend,thanks for all the help guys,we are very close to perfect.

bushracing67
09-06-2011, 09:07 PM
i was recently reading an article in an old circle track they were running a short dirt track with a metric, caster was set at 9 and 4... my gauge wont even read that lol but their suggestion was set the left around 3 and start with a lot of caster on the rf and take some out til you like the feel of the car... i thought it was an unusual approach but i was thinking about trying my rf at 7 just to see what it feels like

stock car driver
09-06-2011, 09:17 PM
i was recently reading an article in an old circle track they were running a short dirt track with a metric, caster was set at 9 and 4... my gauge wont even read that lol but their suggestion was set the left around 3 and start with a lot of caster on the rf and take some out til you like the feel of the car... i thought it was an unusual approach but i was thinking about trying my rf at 7 just to see what it feels like

I run 2.5 left front and 5.5-6 rf. Car is hard to load in the trailer or steer when pushed and the motor isnt running but ITS on a rail on the track.

I also ADD stagger on a dry track. I adjust my car with rf and lr shocks or add lead weight for a dry track. Those changes give me MORE traction so I need MORE stagger in the rear in order to keep the car turning the same as it did in the middle of the corner before the changes.

I run 1.5 stagger in the back all the time and 2 usually on dry dry tracks.