PDA

View Full Version : E85 fuel?

rnoswal
08-29-2011, 10:07 PM
I run a Hot stock at a 3/8 mile track in north Louisiana. Some of the cars look a lot like dirt late models but aren't. We can either run leaf springs or a 3 link system with a center, solid pull bar. The engines aren't real exotic but we do run alcohol.

My question is the new E 85 pump gas for the new cars on the street. Since it is 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline, can I run it in my alcohol engine without making any jetting changes? If not then are there any suggestions which way to go for a start, or will this fuel even work?

I tried searching here but couldn't find anything so thought I would ask, even though I am not a dirt late model racer, I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Russ

Egoracing
08-29-2011, 10:13 PM
You need a carb and system set up for it and the 85/15 mix is not consistant, it varies depending on the time of year and area so you will need to test it before fueling up. Best bet is to contact your carb builder for what you need. Not sure why you could not find anything there are many posts on here about it.

rnoswal
08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Maybe my search was too specific. I looked for E85, race fuel and just fuel, but the results were negative. I don't have a carb builder but maybe I can find one that might have some advice, but I agree with the percentages being off occasionally and time of year affecting the ratios. But it was just a question of anyone having tried it and what the challenges might be.

It's out there and could even be used as a promotional item if used right.

Thanks for the reply

fox1162002
08-30-2011, 03:23 AM
Like Ego said it is not consistent. I will tell you it does make more hp but it will pull your hair out.

rnoswal
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies. Maybe another forum section might have more info on someone who has tried it and could give more precise answers to my question. I know that I am in a well established race class with the late models and probably should look in a little bit lower division for those that need to experiment with fuels more than you guys would ever need to. Consistancy is the key to your class and this E85 fuel does not seem to fit into that mold.

Thanks

Russ

rubbinsracin
08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
we tried to run it at the beginning of the year. we just couldnt keep the fuel consistent. we went to several different pumps in the area and found that non of them were even in the same ballpark as each other. so we went to the pump that was the most consistent and we could never get the carb dialed in. seemed like we were always adjusting timing, adjusting the carb or fighting some issue. so we went back to our regular fuel, that we knew worked. i guess if we would have had more patience, or knowledge or both we could have made it work.:confused:

50j
08-31-2011, 09:38 AM
I've ran it for a long time and never had any trouble with it. You have to be able to get a consistent fuel blend and use good parts. Most of the people having problems are not or they are overlooking something. If you have questions about setting it up I'll be happy to help. I saw in the crate section that you're wanting to try to use a methanol carb with smaller jets. Right off the bat, I can tell you that won't work well. You need a carb built for E-85. There are several threads on here with info from people running it and doing well if you can find them. The search function seems pretty useless.

kevin28
08-31-2011, 03:00 PM
i run the E-85.My carb is a willy's they seemed to know more than anyone about it.i don't buy out of the pump though.i buy it from renegade fuels.They take e -98 and cut it with racing fuel to get to the E-85..i still save money with it,along with more power and cooler temps in a Supr spec engine.really like it..

ATOYOTA
08-31-2011, 03:59 PM
i run a hot stock at a 3/8 mile track in north louisiana. Some of the cars look a lot like dirt late models but aren't. We can either run leaf springs or a 3 link system with a center, solid pull bar. The engines aren't real exotic but we do run alcohol.

My question is the new e 85 pump gas for the new cars on the street. Since it is 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline, can i run it in my alcohol engine without making any jetting changes? If not then are there any suggestions which way to go for a start, or will this fuel even work?

I tried searching here but couldn't find anything so thought i would ask, even though i am not a dirt late model racer, i appreciate any help.

Thanks

russ

are you serious, didn't you even see my post?