PDA

View Full Version : GRT Torque arm

hotrod4890
08-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Is anyone having any luck with a 5th/6th coil on a GRT? If so what are y'all doing to make it work right? What shock do y'all have on it?

hotrod4890
09-03-2011, 11:03 AM
No one has ever tried one on a GRT??? What about other chassis brands? I know some of the Hughes cars are going good on them. Anyone have any input on running one on any mod???

johnny v
09-03-2011, 02:14 PM
most people are keeping the results of their lift bar info covered up just like the cars at the track with tire and tail covers....;).......

Go look at the LM forum and you can find some info on the general application of lift bars and what they do......

Generally , pull bars work better for forward bite, lift bars help in the braking area's and keeping the momentum up throughout the corners so you don't need at much forward bite if your already going faster thru the middle with better momentum..... IMHO lift bars work better on bigger , wider sweeping type corner tracks that make it easier to do the momentum thing......

not clamped up
09-03-2011, 03:28 PM
3c 7r shock is used alot 100 + pds of LR bite,move the RF out with a 1 inch wheel spacer,move the RR in at least an inch sometimes it takes more bar angle in both upper bars,if your on ump tires 30 inches out 300pd spring if your on the hard ones try a 225,that is just some starting points and what your car needs may be completly different when you switch from a pullbar to a 5th coil and j.v.is right on about the corner speed.

anissa5
09-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Why run a stiffer spring on ump tires then hard tires also with the pullbar spring would there be a differce more of less spring on ump tires then hard tires . thanks

hotrod4890
09-04-2011, 06:27 PM
So you think the lift arm would be the way to go with a smaller motor or with a CT525 crate motor?

not clamped up
09-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Why run a stiffer spring on ump tires then hard tires also with the pullbar spring would there be a differce more of less spring on ump tires then hard tires . thanksTo get the same amount of travel on a 5th coil or a pullbar spring when going from the hard tires to a softer tire you most times have to get stiffer on spring rate,because their is more traction and that means more movement,case in point,I have heard 225 or lower for the 5th coil on hard tires,we tried a 225 and moved it 5 inches which according to some late model friends is way to much movement,3 inch range or so for a 5th coil.

not clamped up
09-05-2011, 02:43 PM
So you think the lift arm would be the way to go with a smaller motor or with a CT525 crate motor?I think unless your chassis builder can give you some good info you will be pulling your hair out,unless you just like to be different and want to spend the time to figure out what works for your car on a 5th coil its alot easier with a pullbar,I think in UMP in the next couple of years you will see alot more wins with a 5th coil,because if most of the USMTS races are won with a 5th coil then there is no reason on softer tires you can't have the same results,but it will take alot of testing.

johnny v
09-05-2011, 07:22 PM
I think unless your chassis builder can give you some good info you will be pulling your hair out,unless you just like to be different and want to spend the time to figure out what works for your car on a 5th coil its alot easier with a pullbar,I think in UMP in the next couple of years you will see alot more wins with a 5th coil,because if most of the USMTS races are won with a 5th coil then there is no reason on softer tires you can't have the same results,but it will take alot of testing.

I agree with the hair loss statement.... lots of variables to work out on your own....I have heard some of the USMTS guys are putting pull bars back on for certain tracks... so that tells you its not a "just do it and forget it" deal.....

hotrod4890
09-05-2011, 09:38 PM
IMCA Torque Arm Kit - Double Brackets
* Part#: TA3042MD
* Price: $214.95
* Designed specifically for modifieds
* Length adjustment of 26" - 33"
http://www.teamgrt.com/MOD_NEW2010TorqueArmKits.jpg

rubbinsracin
09-06-2011, 10:09 AM
we run a LM with a GRT torque arm setup and really like it. we found that the GRT setup provided much more adjustability than the setup that was on our car. it had 3 holes....30", 33", 36" this new one we can go every inch which is nice for slight adjustability instead of big swings like our old setup was.

make sure your rules allow for it though. i know imca and nascar made the torque arm illegal this year as of like july-ish(dont remember the exact date). but i dont know if it is illegal in other sanctioning bodies or not. i know we saw a car get DQ'd a few weeks ago because he was running it and one of the other drivers that took his off made a stink when he beat him in the feature.

hotrod4890
09-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Does it make any difference if the shock is a twin tube or a mono tube? What about a high gas pressure and softer spring?

rubbinsracin
09-12-2011, 11:38 AM
well on ours we are required to run a twin tube, only gas shock that is allowed is in front of the LR as a traction shock. so i cant help you much there. but i can say we run a split valve shock. Its an Afco 1377-3 with a 300lb spring that has about 1/3" of preload. we tried to run the progressive spring but found that it wasnt as "consistent". if i go into the corner high, low, hard, soft the 300lb spring reacts the same. But the progressive seemed alot harder to find the sweet spot. when we did have the progressive spring setup dialed in, i liked it a ton better than the standard spring, but it just seemed like we could never keep it dialed in from one week to another.

hotrod4890
03-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Anyone have any new thoughts on this subject?

xxxmod
03-28-2012, 12:33 PM

Johnny v is dead on with his reply

kencar87
03-29-2012, 07:06 PM

I run a lift bar on my Pierce car and I like it. I use a 300 to a 325 spring and get right at 4 in of travel. My shock is a rayburn type with 1 comp. and 14 rebound. This is a 7 in shock mounted at 32 in. from the center of the rear end housing. Sounds like a lot of rebound and it is, but you will not need the 9010 on the rear end and free up all binding that some how sneaks in there at times. The hike is not as radical and the car is a lot more drivable . Pull rods are great if you can get used to the jerk affect ,I liked them too, but prefer lift bar. So much smoother ,Great in the mud, but you need left rear. Forget about that 30 -40 pounds of left rear bite, you need between 85 to 100 or more to get full affect. I run 85 and like it there. The drive style, being smoother I think will make the car faster and as said in 1 of the earlier posts corner speeds are up. Ya I know, I am bucking the system, but when you come from the latemodel ranks where lift bars are common its hard not to like it, I ran them on all my GRTS and they worked well. Good luck to you, try it you might like it, If you are willing to work with it I think you can benefit from it.