PDA

View Full Version : Slider Bound up

Jacob29
08-30-2011, 10:22 PM
My left rear slider was binding up. During a race it would work because of the forces involved but now that I've removed it I was wondering if anyone has ever got them to work again or if its toast.

I'm pretty sure this is an old Howe slider...nothing expensive.

I've completely removed the slider, removed the spring. Opened the casing and cleaned it out with brake cleaner. Re-lubed it and tried putting it back on the car and jacking up the rear-end and letting it down to try and rework it....

It still binds up, where as the other ones I have (yes I have a back up :P ) slide easily with just using your hands to move it.

Thanks for your help!

AH55
09-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Is it possible that the shaft is bent? I had one act like that before and I found the shaft to be slightly tweaked.

powerslide
09-02-2011, 10:17 AM
My left rear slider was binding up. During a race it would work because of the forces involved but now that I've removed it I was wondering if anyone has ever got them to work again or if its toast.

I'm pretty sure this is an old Howe slider...nothing expensive.

I've completely removed the slider, removed the spring. Opened the casing and cleaned it out with brake cleaner. Re-lubed it and tried putting it back on the car and jacking up the rear-end and letting it down to try and rework it....

It still binds up, where as the other ones I have (yes I have a back up :P ) slide easily with just using your hands to move it.

Thanks for your help!

chunk it get a bsb if you buy new i bought a "sealed" greaseable afco and it leaves alot to be desired all my runnin buddies have the bsb one and maintence seems easier

not clamped up
09-02-2011, 01:28 PM
A simple solution to any slider is to drill a 3/16 hole in the body down by the end of the heim.The better they make the sliders the more air they pump up inside them,take a new bsb or any slider and pump it in your hands a few times it will get stiffer thus the reason for the hole,you can still wrap some tape around it and the air will still bleed out,it also makes a good place to shoot a little oil in them.

racin6mod
09-02-2011, 05:52 PM
if it's the old howe with the nylon piston those get tighter after time due to the grooves that get worn into the nylon. we got a intega slider very simple design and troulbe free so fare.

guy's want to grease or anti seeze ther sliders but oil is the best way to keep them working.