PDA

View Full Version : E 85 fuel?

rnoswal
08-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Down here in Louisiana we have a hot stock class. Either 3 bar link or leaf suspensions. The pull bar is supposed to be solid. We use ethanol race fuel but I am interested in the newer E 85 pump fuel. My engine is a standard 383 with roller lifters and rockers and a litely worked over alky carb.

The car runs fine but has anyone here used the E 85 fuel, success or failure? I have heard about percentage variances with the 85 alky and 15 fuel. I imagine the jets might need to be made a bit smaller too. But I am really interested in anyone who has made an attempt at the new fuel and what were the thoughts about it.

It is a bit cheaper than straight ethanol but still think it would run cool and be fairly high in octane as most of it is still ethanol. I tried a search, could find nothing. I asked the dirt late models but they steered me to my carb builder...don't have one.

Any help, or opinions are appreciated

thanks

Russ

Egoracing
08-31-2011, 07:09 AM
I see what you mean about the search, If will not see the E85 and only comes up with any other word you put with it. Try E85+fuel and E85+carb, E85+racing E-85 (what ever word you want)
Using the + makes the search engine look for posts with both words in it. They are spread out but there are posts listed the only problem with the search is you have to look at all forums, shows, results, classified and tech to find stuff.

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?229301-Anyone-running-e85&highlight=E85%2Bfuel

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?226142-E85-holley-carb-help-wont-idel&highlight=carb

You will use less E85 than alcohol and the carb will require some extensive mods to be able to do it and everyone I know that runs ended up having a carb built and some carb builders said a converted carb can have issues and will not run as good as a specific carb. You use about 2.2 times the amount of alcohol as gas and you will use about 1.4 - 1.8 times the amount of E85 as gas depending on the mix.
You will need to keep the alcohol pumps and stuff as the E85 is still alcohol and requires more volume and is somewhat corrosive. On the links above you should be able to find some people that have run it and can point you in the right direction. Good Luck!

50j
08-31-2011, 09:30 AM
It works good but not with a methanol carb. Just jetting down won't work right, it'll need to be built for E-85. I've actually used it for a long time and will be happy to help if you have questions.

ferd
09-03-2011, 01:01 PM
"Circle Track" magazine has printed some articles about using E85 during the past year or so. Have you tried looking on their web site?

stock car driver
09-04-2011, 02:53 PM
John at JDR Performance is my carb builder, you can use him also!

E 85 was good for 30hp and 30tq on a 11-1 355 vs gas.

If its legal and you have the time to mix it properly etc I would use it. If you dont have the extra time dont mess with it because it needs to be correct.

stpmotorsports
09-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I also use John @JDR Performance, he has the e-85 stuff figured out. Has always treated us right and will help you get your combo right. We are running an e-85 500 holley now that he built.

Graff Spee
09-05-2011, 11:32 PM
The mods for an E-85 carb are not really that extensive. You only increase fuel by about 30% over gas. Methanol is closer to 100% more than gas. I bought some Quick fuel metering blocks a few years ago with no use problems. I have a street car that uses a carb with a manual choke. I just adjust the choke till it runs good. I run E-85 in it all the time. I built a still to make my own ethanol but after making a few batches it became a chore. I had to buy a tax stamp for two hundred bucks! Live and learn I guess.

50j
09-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Good luck with that. Been there done that. What I learned is that the generic spec those green metering blocks provide is not going to be the best match for every application or carb they're being installed on. How could they be? They'll get it close enough to somewhat run, but not right. As a result you're having to pull the choke to make it run o.k. I also found that even if you change the metering blocks, there are a lot of the Holley carbs that won't flow enough fuel through other parts of the carb. You'll be lean wide open no matter what you do. Then there are all the other parts that have to be changed too. By the time you're done trying to build one, you could have had a real racing carburetor built that'll run circles around it. I would also recommend JDR if you want a good one.

Graff Spee
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
I have been OK but I have heard of alot of people having trouble with the green blocks. I can't even find them on line. Do they even make them any longer?

50j
09-07-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure if they do or not. I've seen them work o.k. on some stuff but they are certainly not plug and play. There is a lot more to it than just changing metering blocks, and one calibration could never really be right for everything. It's great fuel, but won't work well with some home-brew equipment.

rubbinsracin
09-07-2011, 09:26 AM
I agree with 50j. i think that most people think that a carb..gas, e85, or alky..even from a good carb builder is "plug and play". maybe when all the motors were stock motors you could get away with it but now a days, there is so you are giving up if you dont have a good carb that is tuned in right. it took me a long time to figure that out and i still dont know that i would be considered a "decent" carb tuner.

guruofdirt
09-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I agree witha few others John @ JDR Performance can hook you up very affordable and super nice guy had another guy fix my carb. originally before I found out about John on 4M sent it to him and he got it RIGHT and I can really feel the diffrence middle of corner off picked my car up considerably. He ran it in and had it adjusted just bolted it on hooked it up and was fast right off the 1st lap!!

archie142
10-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Contact mark sullens @ marksullense85.com. He is an awsome guy to deal with and been round E85 for a while. Has done 4 4412 and some big 4's for me. All run great and any questions just call him. He has talked me thru alot of different adjustment to try and none have had a negative reaction. Have on everything from 355 to 421. Even hauler has one on it. Jus my opinion researched alot before doing anything.

Thanks Archie

noral54
10-20-2011, 06:07 PM
call chris @ classic motor sports been using his carbs with e85,, bolt um on and go no proublems great guy to work with and very resinable