PDA

View Full Version : bending header?

Dirt36
08-31-2011, 08:25 PM
We have a set of over the frame headers on our hobby car and the RF tire rubs the header around the collector area. My question is has anyone ever tried heating the header tubes up with a rose bud an bending it some? we only need about an inch of clearance.

roybeckett13j
08-31-2011, 08:37 PM
You could prolly heat up the tubes where they are still all four together, not red hot but just to where they turn color, and pull the collector SLOWLY causing the tubes to bend.

only heat up about a one inch long spot so they wont kink. then let them cool by themselves...don't quench with water!

stock car driver
08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
I would cut, miter and weld as needed. Bending them will make them too thin in the outside area of the bend.

roybeckett13j
09-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Either would have to bend in a really small area, to avoid kinking but will thin the material out...

or bend over a larger area, 4-6 inches, risk kinking the tube off but reduce the amount of material being thinned...

If you can cut them, then get a good weld on them it would work better.

dirty white boy
09-01-2011, 10:25 PM
1 inch spacer on wheels! an leave header alone...

Egoracing
09-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I have seen and had to dent tubes before to get clearance on cars in less than ideal situations. I had a friend put a motor on the dyno and 1 dent in 1 tube on each header cut the motors power by several HP over a new set. He could not believe it so we heated the dents and pressed them out from the inside and the old set was right in the same ballpark as the new set. Heat and bend OR cut ans weld are MUCH better ideas!