PDA

View Full Version : Trail Braking, General Info

ALF401
09-01-2011, 09:37 AM
I have heard a lot about trailo braking, what is it? When is it mostly used (type track, etc)? What is the technique used to do it right??

talclipse
09-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I have heard a lot about trailo braking, what is it? When is it mostly used (type track, etc)? What is the technique used to do it right??

This is probably one of the most informative posts I have ever read on the subject: http://www.dirtracingforum.com/showthread.php/709-Trail-braking
There are some different things guys are currently doing in addition to what is being mentioned in that post but that should get you on the right track.

ALF401
09-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I read the article and did find it very interesting! Couple questions, would a higher gear in the rear end, help with the learning curve??? And what variations are being used that you mentioned???

Thanks

supercomet32
09-02-2011, 06:13 PM
It also in my opinion makes you start thinking about the corner a little further back on the strait...being ahead in terms of what your going to do helps you make decisions smoother and calmer as you drive...sort of puts you in the pocket so to speak....that harder braking also lets the car settle in a mor controlled manner....if that makes sense.

supercomet32
09-02-2011, 06:14 PM
BTW what happened to Billetbirdcage on here? used to see him all the time haven't in quite a while is he also one of us that gave up on 4m due to the BS from both the new generation of users the spam and the administrators?

Matt49
09-03-2011, 11:36 AM
BTW what happened to Billetbirdcage on here? used to see him all the time haven't in quite a while is he also one of us that gave up on 4m due to the BS from both the new generation of users the spam and the administrators?

I was wondering the same thing.

billetbirdcage
09-03-2011, 02:35 PM
I’m still around, but just don’t post here anymore.

1. The old days have passed and now-a-days people get offended if you if disagree with something they have said and just resort to name calling and a bunch of nonsense. Too many people see it as if you disagree or state something different then what they have said/posted that you car calling them stupid or an idiot. This most of the time isn’t the case at all, but then the name calling and what not starts and the original topic gets lost. We used to be able to debate stuff without an all out fight starting; I know we used to have some really interesting long posts going about different things. You got to see several views on things and make up your own mind. Several times we even got comments for reader’s surprised by how civil to discussions ended up being even if several of us completely disagreed with each other. It was never about who was right and who was wrong, but the sharing of info and reasoning behind their theory. I know even if I couldn’t agree with them it sometimes lead me to look at something different and lead me to new things or ideas. I miss that! Remember, we were all rookies at some time and didn’t know squat so be easy on people and curtious.

2. I see so much bad info posted here and the same questions asked over and over. Part of this is people’s non-use of the search function to search for answers to questions already asked, but this is compounded by the fact that they (4m) keep deleting old posts so you couldn’t find it if you tried. I’m sure many people get tired of answering the same question’s all the time. The world is a “need it now” society, all the instant things you can get thru internet, texting, and etc makes everyone impatient and with really short attention spans. This is just how society is becoming today, good, bad, or indifferent.

3. 4M: Several of us, Rocketbonehead, me, and several others stated years ago during the format change away from the vBulletin format that we just wanted some simple changes made or several of us would leave and not return. We gave them several months to get something done, but nothing happened so we set a leave date. That date came and went, so we left. I realize they got rid of the Berry that was doing the changes to the site and went back to the old format, but I’m a man of my word so I haven’t posted much since nor has Rocketbonehead.

4. I also see more bias and advertising then we used to, it used to be a Ban-able offense to start a thread about a product for sell. If everything wasn’t deleted, you could look back and see the respected members (ones who owned business that did sell racing products) never started threads about stuff for sell and only brought up something they sold if asked about it. I know Bill Hendren and I (others as well) both took this approach, we were there to help not sell products. I tried to give unbiased opinions on things, but stated that you should take my opinion with a grain of salt as it may be a competitor’s product. I just don’t see the integrity that we used too.

I’m not trying to sound all negative, but these are problems with ALL forum websites. I just prefer to do most of this over the phone and help a select few more indepthly then spending a bunch of time on this particular forum. I just use other forums, that mainly deal with tech only now instead of this one. This weed’s out a lot of the non racer traffic and has fewer problems.

Sorry for the rant, just explaining my reasoning.

Kent Taylor

BigBlueFord
09-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks Kent......

Always appreciated your posts here and still do on other forum pages.

Thanks Again

Rex

dzona99z
09-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Billet just wondering were the brake bias should be set for trail braking, thanks for the help

hpmaster
09-04-2011, 07:14 AM
I run 60 rear and 40 front to start. Not that that is right or wrong, just where I start. One thing for sure brake bias gauges sure can give you a heads up on a master or other brake problem. Friday night I was trying to figure out my own style of what we called tip toein, trail brakin cause of this topic. Truth is I figured out I can't really analize what I was doing and really race at the same time. I think it's related to my walking and chewin gum problem too. I will throw this out it almost feels like I adjust the torque more with the brake than the throttle at times, throttle steady and adjust car with brake. I do know I trail brake alot more with a 4 bar car than I did with a swing arm. Does that make any sense? Just my thoughts.

supercomet32
09-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Well good to know your still around billet. I remember those days very well where the tech section was better than just about any setup book with discussions taking you in different directions of thought and seeing what people had tried and found to work that wasnt the norm or found in a book. good time and i lay 100% responsibility with how the board fell apart on the administrators that obviously had an agenda and not one bit of experience in the realm of dirt racing. ruined this place....wish there was another site that was like 4m of the early 2000's....no spam no trolls and no bs...just valid honest discussion like men about the greatest sport on earth without the drama.....could turn it around if we could get the administrators to actually talk but they dont even have a clue between fans trolls and true competitors

LM14
09-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Ken, nice to see you still check in from time to time. Miss you and the "Bonehead" straightening out people, myself included. You are right, the climate has changed in these web sites. I mostly read anymore with very few posts, mostly to new guys struggling and getting really bad advice.

Later,
SPark