PDA

View Full Version : David Smith Goes Flag To Flag, Captures SUPER NATIONALS Opener @ Wythe

FASTRAKPR
09-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Rural Retreat, Virginia – In Friday night’s opening round of the Dirt Late Model Super Nationals at Wythe Raceway, Inman, South Carolina’s David Smith was a picture of perfection. Smith, the current FASTRAK Southeastern / Mideastern Touring Divisions point leader, cruised to quick time and then led all 40 laps on the lightning-fast Virginia ˝ mile. “We had a great car tonight. Fred Brown has one of the best tracks in the country and I love to race here. I appreciate the fans being patient and waiting out the rain delay. This will give us some momentum headed into tomorrow night and really for the rest of the year.” Smith said in FASTRAK Victory Lane.

Before any of the evenings events were able to get going a heavy downpour deluged the grounds of the speedway for nearly an hour. FASTRAK Founder and President Stan Lester assured everyone present in the drivers meeting that they intended to race one way or the other. And, after a two and one half hour delay, the event got rolling around 10 PM. As the second driver to take time, Smith topped the field of 27 FASTRAK Pro Late Models in Shell Racing Solutions Pole Qualifying. Smith toured the ˝ mile Virginia oval in 18.186 seconds for an average speed of 98.977 MPH. Following Smith in qualifying was Travis Blackwell, Jake Eaton, Teddy Tate and Jensen Ford. Ryan Atkins, Matt Long and Brandon Umberger also locked themselves into the elite 8 for the 40-lap feature.

(not a nice word)

Vic Chandler picked up the win in NOS Energy Drinks Heat #1 over Chad Hale and a hard charging Daniel Baggerly. In VP Race Fuels Heat #2 Barry Arnold picked up the win after a series of false starts. Lee Cooper wound up second with Jason Welshan rounding out the top three. With just 27 cars on hand series and track officials elected to forego a consolation race and start all cars present for the night’s feature event.

(not a nice word)

At the drop of the green flag Smith sailed into the lead while a 3 wide battle for second ensued between Blackwell, Eaton and Ford with Blackwell able to cover the position as the field completed lap 1. However Eaton and Ford continued to battle for the 3rd position, swapping the spot back and forth over the next several laps. As the night’s first yellow flag appeared for Jensen Ford’s flat front tire, Smith’s nearly half a straightaway lead was erased and the field reset two-by-two all the way to the front row in the FASTRAK “choose” style restart formation. With the green flag back in the air, Smith quickly dispensed with Blackwell and reassumed the point again driving away from the field.

(not a nice word)

Back through the field Smith’s closest pursuer in the point standings, Umberger, began a high-side charge to the front. Umberger rolled by Eaton for fourth and began to reel Blackwell in. Matt Long also mounted a late race charge breaking into the top five just after the halfway point. Umberger continued to pressure Blackwell lap after lap. Umberger was finally able to cover the position with 9 laps remaining. The hometown driver set after Smith and began to cut into his margin. With the white flag in the air, Umberger had cut it down to 3 car lengths. However Smith’s margin was just too much to overcome and Umberger was forced to settle for 2nd.(not a nice word)

Smith flashed across the checkers to pick up $2000 and his third FASTRAK SE / ME Touring victory of the 2011 season. All three of Smith’s wins have come at Wythe Raceway. “The double-file restarts make it interesting for the fans but it makes it a pretty scary for us, particularly when you are leading. You really have to get up on the wheel and be on it for every restart. It went our way tonight but it could have just as easily went the other way. Thanks to all of my sponsors and my family for supporting me. I want to thank Carburetor Bob for all of his help week in and week out. Tonight was a great win for us.” Smith said.

(not a nice word)

The FASTRAK Pro Late Models will compete for $3000 in Saturday night’s finale of the Dirt Late Model Super Nationals. Saturday’s finale will feature a spectacular fireworks show and a huge 4-wide salute during which every late model on the grounds will be on-track. Gates open at 4 PM. Drivers and Wythe Raceway Legends autograph session scheduled for 5:45 PM. For more information visit the track’s home on the World Wide Web at www.wytheraceway.com for inform

(not a nice word)

Unofficial Finish (Pending Tire Sample Lab Results)

(not a nice word)

1 – 11 David Smith (1)

2 – 54B Brandon Umberger (8)

3 – 15 Travis Blackwell (2)

4 – 25 Matt Long (7)

5 – 29E Jake Eaton (3)

6 – 57 Lee Cooper (12)

7 – 2 Dennis Franklin (20)

8 – 29 Jason Welshan (14)

9 – 16 Daniel Baggerly (13)

10 – 88 Vic Chandler (9)

11 – 77 Brian Connor (18)