PDA

View Full Version : In car cameras?

fast_crew
09-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on cameras, have a gopro already, not all that good, video quality not so bad (not good either), but audio SUX. Is the HD really any better? Any info is appreciated. Thanks Josh

Rayburnt1
09-06-2011, 09:58 PM
This is from our GOPRO HD with the open back case to let sound in. Sounds fine to me. Watch it in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8JcG7X7fBM

rubbinsracin
09-07-2011, 09:15 AM
i wish i could tell you....but our track throws fits when people show up with camera's. but before the track made us take them off we ran a GoPro. the guy next to us bought one of those cheap flip cameras and made a little box out of plexy for it and it worked perfectly fine but looked pretty shall we say....redneck engineered lol.

joedoozer
09-07-2011, 09:31 AM
i wish i could tell you....but our track throws fits when people show up with camera's. but before the track made us take them off we ran a GoPro. the guy next to us bought one of those cheap flip cameras and made a little box out of plexy for it and it worked perfectly fine but looked pretty shall we say....redneck engineered lol.

Why would any track care about someone running a camera? Are they worried about poor track officiating getting caught on camera? I have never heard that before. I don't have one on the car yet, but my wife sits in the stands and video tapes. And no one has ever said anything to her.

rubbinsracin
09-07-2011, 11:09 AM
their reasoning is that they are tired of everyone and their dog coming to them saying....look at this, look at what he did, look and how bad that was...etc. i can see where the officials are coming from. every time someone was getting bumped there was someone standing there with a camera saying...i got that on tape, blah blah blah!

plus something neat they were trying was the track photographer was putting a camera in a different car every night but it only lasted about the first 4 weeks of the season.

joedoozer
09-07-2011, 11:20 AM
their reasoning is that they are tired of everyone and their dog coming to them saying....look at this, look at what he did, look and how bad that was...etc. i can see where the officials are coming from. every time someone was getting bumped there was someone standing there with a camera saying...i got that on tape, blah blah blah!

plus something neat they were trying was the track photographer was putting a camera in a different car every night but it only lasted about the first 4 weeks of the season.

I can see that happening.

talclipse
09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
This is from our GOPRO HD with the open back case to let sound in. Sounds fine to me. Watch it in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8JcG7X7fBM

Does that rear view mirror work at all with the rear spoiler? :)

Rayburnt1
09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I did'nt know what you were talking about untill I watched beginning of the video over. No mirror, those are the Rocket disclaimer sticker. You scared me for a second.

AmickRacing
09-08-2011, 12:14 AM
I am using the RePlay XD HD style of camera... I love it.
I like how small it is, and mounts pretty dang easy too. The GoPro looks like an awesome camera, but the larger surface able to be hit by rocks (or mud) kind of steered me away from it.

I have mine mounted on the cage behind my left shoulder (about center of the car), makes it a little tricky to turn on and off, but not terrible... probably would be easier if I was part owl.

The audio is quite impressive compared to the other camera system I used (Chasecam). Seems like it picks up a lot of the higher pitched whine but it's not all bad, kinda nice cuz you can actually tell when you're on or off the throttle a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing?feature=mhee

Check out any of the video's with the HD next to them for my samples. The older video's are from the ChaseCam camera. Also keep in mind there's some compression to make the file smaller for youtube, but not really all that noticeable with my eyes anyway.

Racer111
09-08-2011, 10:34 AM
This is Go-Pro HD works great .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxSI1LMZaU

talclipse
09-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I did'nt know what you were talking about untill I watched beginning of the video over. No mirror, those are the Rocket disclaimer sticker. You scared me for a second.

HAHA It really looked like a rear view mirror.

Anyway, now that I have derailed this topic. I will say I use a standard go pro.

My likes about it are the price and the variations in the mounting equipment.

I don't care for how it reacts in low light. The audio portion of the camera isn't really that great either but you can kinda tell when you are in and out of the gas. My biggest beef thus far has been with the housing. The very first night running the camera the lens to the housing was shattered. After a feature on a sand storm of a track the camera lens was sand blasted as well. It still functions but the video quality was definitely impacted.