PDA

View Full Version : Metric Driveshaft Length?

roybeckett13j
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Ok, blew up the third member last night which ate the driveshaft.

Have a third member to run a couple more races, but not sure what length of driveshaft Im needing.

Best I can measure its around 57 inches, but what would a metric chassis use? Stock engine location and stock rear end location. Ford 9inch with a 3 speed saginaw.

drivingexcitement
09-11-2011, 02:33 PM
too many variables to give you a measurement for what you are needing. Best way to do it is, take a stock driveshaft, put the u joints in the yoke, go measure how much input shaft is sticking out of the tail shaft, and then do your math

stock car driver
09-11-2011, 03:34 PM
51-53

Mine are 52 I think

SRXSRULE
09-11-2011, 07:48 PM
52 1/2 is "Stock" Which is too long in my car. I use a 52" with a long wide yoke.

FYI, you measure driveshafts from the center of the U-joints. Eric

roybeckett13j
09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
This one measures about 51 center to center...but its all mashed and twisted so it could very well be 52.5

It was a stock shaft, and fit good. Think ill order a 52. thanks!

Dirtman29
09-11-2011, 11:04 PM
I run a saginaw/ford 9" with a stock 4" yoke, mine measures 52 1/4" center to center. Perfect fit. Yoke is out about 1 1/4" when installed at ride height.

26-62 racing
09-12-2011, 03:59 PM
The only real way to have the correct length for your application is to install a yoke in the transmission with a gap of about one and one half inches ( 1 1/2'') between the end of the tail shaft and the T of the yoke. Then measure between where center line of the u- joint cap in the yokes of both the transmission and the rear end. This measurement is the same measurement of how long the tube of the drive shaft should be between the center lines of u-joint caps of drive shaft tube. Stock metric suspensions systems have only about 1'' of travel of the yoke in and out of the transmission housing. Because our stock metric four bars do not have that much rear steer through suspension travel, or up and down body travel which lengthens of shortens the gap between the end of the tail shaft and the T of the yoke. You may have to have a drive shaft made to fit your application , you can cut down a stock shaft have the yoke re-welded on the end and rebalanced, or have one made from a drive shaft shop.

Mike 26B