PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Help/Ideas

racer#10
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
I am needing ideas on what type of fuel pump to run on our ministock. We currently run a manual pump on our 2.3 but are about to put in a small journal motor, which doesnt have the option for a manual pump. We ran a napa pump at the start of the year but it gave us problems so we took it off and went to manual. Is there a good pump to run that doesn't require a regulator? Holley has a 110 gph pump that seems ideal but does it have any advantages/disadvantages of running a regualtor?

PitManArm
09-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Put the manual pump on. If the block still uses a distributor then there should be threaded bolt holes on the fuel pump boss. Carefully run a tap thru the holes to clean them out. Then hold a fuel pump gasket up to the block with the holes aligned. Take a Sharpie and trace out the big hole in the gasket onto the block. I believe that hole is about 3/4" across. Centerpunch the centre of each radius and drill a hole, starting with a 1/4" bit and work up to the 3/4" in a couple of steps. Once you have the top and bottom holes drilled out to 3/4, just take a die grinder and clean up the opening to the shape you traced from the gasket. Now just remember to make sure the auxillary shaft has a lobe on it to move the pump lever and you are all done.

It is best to do this before final clean up and assembly to make sure no drill shavings get left behind. The block is cast iron so it drills easy and it isn't very thick in that area.

Headhunter
09-15-2011, 07:30 AM
I have used everything from the Holley Blue pump to the cheap AutoZone Clicker type. All have worked with the exception of a small Carter rotary pump. Did not move enough volume to feed a race motor.

racer#10
09-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey pitmanarm, i thought about doing that but i already have the short block assembled and really dont wanna take it all back apart to do the grinding and drilling. I was hoping to just run a good electrical pump, like a holley, without having to run a regulator.

And headhunter, did you run a regulator with your holley pump? if not, what was your fuel pressure?

Headhunter
09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes I did run a regulator with the Holley pump 4 psi