PDA

View Full Version : Chris Ferguson Makes 41st Annual World 100 – Prepares for Remaining Events

flagone
09-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Chris Ferguson Makes 41st Annual World 100 – Prepares for Remaining Events

Mt. Holly, North Carolina – In just his second attempt, North Carolina Super Late Model Racer Chris Ferguson was able to race his way into the 41st Annual World 100 at Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio. The World 100 is considered by most to be the most prestigious and well known Dirt Late Model event in the world. “It was truly an honor just to make the race. The World is huge. There are so many fans there. It is the biggest stage in Dirt Late Model racing. There were 110 of the best drivers in dirt racing there and we were one of the 30 guys to make the field. I am very proud of our effort but I am disappointed that our finish doesn’t really show just how good of a race car we had in the feature.” Ferguson said.

Ferguson was 16th quick after the first round of time trials at the historic Ohio half mile facility owned by NASCAR star Tony Stewart. Ferguson wound up 31st quick overall after the second round of time trials were completed. His qualifying effort left him in the first heat race which most drivers agree is the least favorable heat to be in. “That first heat race is a tough one. It’s always so hard to pass because the track is still really hooked up and fast. That usually results in some torn up race cars too. But we held our own in the heat and actually moved up a spot to finish 5th. That gave us a pretty good starting position in the B-Main.” added Ferguson. Ferguson rolled off 4th in the B-Main and was able to take a 3rd place finish behind winner Jared Landers and Greg Satterlee. Ferguson’s 3rd place finish was good enough to give the young gun his first career Eldora start.

Ferguson spent the week leading up to the World 100 working on his machine at Goddard Performance / Warrior Race Cars in Knoxville, Tennessee under the watchful eye of owner Sanford Goddard. Goddard and Ferguson combined their efforts for the World 100 appearance. “Sanford put his set up and his shock package on our new Warrior 1G car and then he served as my crew chief at Eldora. It was a great experience for me. I really appreciate everything Sanford did for us and I can’t thank Kevin and Mike at Warrior enough for all of their help while I was at their shop. Sanford and I were up until about 1 am Wednesday night scaling the car and making the last minute changes before heading to Eldora Thursday. I learned a lot this week and I am just so thankful that I was able to represent Warrior Race Cars and Starrette Trucking at such a big event.” Ferguson said.

In the 100 lap feature Ferguson started from the 25th position and steadily made his way forward until, under a lap 39 yellow flag, he broke a jack shaft in the rear end. At the time Ferguson had moved up 10 positions and was sitting in the 15th position. “I’m glad it happened under caution or we could have hurt a lot more than we did but it was still heartbreaking. I had such a good car. I honestly believe we could have finished in the top 10 and maybe even the top 5. We had passed Steve Shaver, Jimmy Mars, Earl Pearson and a lot of other really good cars. We were running right around the bottom and just taking what we could get. I was just trying to stay out of trouble and save something for the last part of the race. Too bad we didn’t get to show just how good I think we were. I really want to thank Sanford and Warrior along with Randy Clary Racing Engines. We had an awesome combination for the World and we will be back again to try to build on what we did.” Ferguson concluded.

Ferguson and his CFM Team will now prepare their Warrior machine for this coming weekend's Ultimate Late Model Series event at Cherokee Speedway in Gaffney, South Carolina. With only a handful of events remaining on the tour Ferguson finds himself trying to get back to the top of the Ultimate point standings. He enters the Cherokee event on Saturday in the 3rd position but only 17 points out of the lead. Ferguson tales a pair of Georgia racers in Chip Brindle of Chatsworth and 4-time champion Casey Roberts of Toccoa. "We were leading until we had some mechanical issues that killed us. But we aren't out of it by any means. Cherokee and Wythe are the next two events and we have had a lot of success at both tracks over the years. So we just need to buckle down and make sure our maintenance program is on point and get back to the lead. Chip and Casey are great racers and it will be tough to beat them but I believe that we can get it done. It's just going to take a lot of hard work and effort." Ferguson added.

Chris and his team would like to thank Starrette Trucking, Hals Plumbing, Carver and Sons Roofing, Quality Landscape Materials, Creech's DJ Service, Big A's Custom Graphics, Keith's Handyman Service, Randy Clary Race Engines, Warrior Race Cars, Quality Fasteners, RE Suspension, K&N Filters, FK Rod Ends, Fragola Performance Systems, Schaeffer’s Racing Oil and Lubricants, ButlerBuilt Professional Seat Systems, Hooker Harness, Outerwears, RF Composites, Team W, KELCAR Motorsports Media, Dirt Racing Magazine, CV Products and Behrent’s Performance Warehouse.
Chris’ has a new website that is currently in development and should launch soon. Until the new website is released supporters and fans can keep up Chris and his CFM Race Team by liking Ferguson’s Fan Page on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ChrisFerguson22 . You can also follow Chris on his Twitter @ChrisFerguson22. And finally fans should be on the lookout for new CFM Merchandise that will be released soon.