PDA

View Full Version : And Then There Was One: FASTRAK SE / ME Touring Series Title Down to the Wire

FASTRAKPR
09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
And Then There Was One: FASTRAK Southeast / Mid-East Touring Series Title Down to the Wire – Umberger Leads into Wythe Finale

Carnesville, Georgia - With only one event remaining on the FASTRAK Southeast / Mid-East Touring schedule the 2011 championship is still yet to be decided in one of the closest points battles in recent history. Rural Retreat, Virginia’s Brandon Umberger overtook defending champion David Smith by virtue of his runner-up finish in last Friday’s Bill Hendren Memorial at Cleveland County Speedway. Smith struggled with an ill handling car in his 14th place finish. Now Smith will return to the track where he has experienced the most success in the 2011 FASTRAK campaign. Smith, who is now 4 points out of the lead, has three FASTRAK Touring victories on the season at Fred and Susan Brown’s scenic half-mile facility. Smith believes he can rebound but he might need some help. “I dug myself a hole at Cleveland County. I made a mistake on the car that showed up in the feature. But I am excited about going to Wythe. It looks like we will finally have some good weather. My strategy is to win the race and let the points go how they go. We aren’t giving up by any means. We are going to do all we can but it will probably take Brandon making a mistake or having trouble. He is very good at Wythe too.

Umberger cut his racing teeth at his hometown track and has found victory lane there many times. “I believe we have a great shot at winning this deal. We just have to hold on and maintain. We are gonna run what we always run and show up at the track looking to win. I know David will be one of the guys I will have to outrun to win the race. He’s won 3 FASTRAK races there this year. I know we have had the car to win the least few races there but our results haven’t shown that. We are just gonna go after it and see where we end up.” Umberger said. And Cooper, who is just 24 points back of Umberger, has racked up several wins at Wythe in his career and he took the 2006 Wythe Pro Late Model National Championship. On Saturday the 3 drivers will settle their season-long title chase in the 50 lap / $3000 to win Dirt Late Model Super Nationals. A day two rain-out a few weeks back set the stage to make Saturday’s event the Southeast / Mid-East Tour’s regular season finale.

Wythe always provides exciting side-by-side racing and super fast speeds. Saturday should be a double dose of action with both the FASTRAK Pro Late Models and the Ultimate Super Late Models in action. Also Morristown, Tennessee’s Shanon Buckingham will be presented his Championship Ring from his Pro Late Model Nationals victory in 2010. It will be the last Pro Late Models Nationals ring to ever be awarded. Because it is a custom ring, it takes some time to have it made and Buckingham has been tremendously busy with his business this year. “I look forward to seeing Shanon and Amanda.” said Lester. “I haven’t seen them much this year but we look forward to catching up with one of FASTRAK’s toughest competitors. And it will be an honor for Fred and I to present him this ring.” Lester added.

Wythe Raceway is nestled in the foothills of southwest Virginia with some of the most amazing sunsets and views one could ever see at any speedway. The cleanest bathroom facilities in the country, along with beautiful grounds and a friendly staff that strives to ensure everyone has an enjoyable evening. Fans will enjoy some of the best racing anywhere in this country. For information on tickets or directions visit www.wytheraceway.com or call (276) 223-9804. Wythe Raceway is located at 164 Race Track Road in Rural Retreat, Virginia 24368-2953.