PDA

View Full Version : How much Horse Power does most Ump Mods. Put out?

Mail man
09-21-2011, 01:02 PM
You hear a lot of numbers from 600 to 800 hp. Also is gas just as good as alky? Does engine size mean a lot them numbers are also small and big 360/440s? I have looked at some races videos that just don't look to fair at all looks like engine is important even with a little tires. You hear so much about this in here about claiming engines?

cavemod
09-21-2011, 08:51 PM
You hear a lot of numbers from 600 to 800 hp. Also is gas just as good as alky? Does engine size mean a lot them numbers are also small and big 360/440s? I have looked at some races videos that just don't look to fair at all looks like engine is important even with a little tires. You hear so much about this in here about claiming engines?

Hp numbers can be deceiving.600 to 800 is common depending on your particular combination which most often is dictated by your particular budget.While it is true big hp does help win races it can also hurt you if your car is not setup for it.gas or alky is a horse apiece.gas is a little more forgiving tuneup wise and you you have less fuel burn off but alky helps the engine run cooler and there is a slight hp advantage over most readily available racing gas out there.alky is a little more finnicky to weather conditions.Then there's the cost factor I burn approx 10 gal a night of alky when i was using 6 a few years back when I ran gas on a much larger track.According to the ump rules the only person who can be claimed is the winner and its 550 exchange so until you win don't worry about it.IMO worry about getting your car setup to handle all the hp you got then think about getting more.Small motors are cheaper then big cid and if prepared properly will ussually last longer and be cheaper to freshen.The reason why it don't look fair is because of the setup skill and budget variety of the racers you see.Its the same no matter where you go the guys with the best setup skills and the most money tend to run up front.But then again they do well no matter where they go.

Racer111
09-23-2011, 05:27 PM
How much HP you need depends alot on what size track.I know of winners with only 600hp which is easy and fairly cheap to get.Then i know of 700hp engines winning at a larger track.It seams that tighter the corners are the less engine you need.Big HP shows when the engine can wind up.

Mail man
09-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for all of your help, looks like the best bang for the buck is 700ish on gas. Just trying to get some ideas before getting feet wet. The tracks around here are 3/8 to1/2 Mile. One other question is, should you use a 1 stage oil pump with a bigger oil pan say like 3 gallons or internal pump with 7 quart pan if you have the choice. I was thinking of stacking oil fuel and power steering on the rear. That way I can have save money on 2 engines with that set up. Thanks for all of the ideas.

Racer111
09-24-2011, 12:47 PM
I set mine up with a single stage peterson with P/S on back.Your better off to run mech pump on gas.Run one of the big box pans. If your running big tracks put a oil cooler on it also.

powerslide
09-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all of your help, looks like the best bang for the buck is 700ish on gas. Just trying to get some ideas before getting feet wet. The tracks around here are 3/8 to1/2 Mile. One other question is, should you use a 1 stage oil pump with a bigger oil pan say like 3 gallons or internal pump with 7 quart pan if you have the choice. I was thinking of stacking oil fuel and power steering on the rear. That way I can have save money on 2 engines with that set up. Thanks for all of the ideas.

Have you raced a mod or something similar in speed before? if not i suggest no more than 600 to start with. Anymore than that and you will be a dangerous weapon if you are just learning. Also budget mind wise to get 700hp and reliable you are looking at $15,000 at the MININUIM. just something to think about

powerslide
09-26-2011, 01:48 PM

Have you raced a mod or something similar in speed before? if not i suggest no more than 600 to start with. Anymore than that and you will be a dangerous weapon if you are just learning. Also budget mind wise to get 700hp and reliable you are looking at $15,000 at the MININUIM. just something to think about

HEAVY DUTY
09-26-2011, 03:09 PM

just like Powerslide said, 600 max for anyone but a seasoned veteran.We won 2 big shows at Eldora with 587hp at the flywheel and 498 at the rear wheels.