PDA

View Full Version : questions about my 383

westley1988
09-21-2011, 09:24 PM
I have a 383, everythings in time, but you can pull the number one spark plugwire off and it dosnt effect the motor running at all, what could it be? could it be in my heads or somehting else?

billy5
09-22-2011, 01:05 AM
valves,,dist.cap,,wire,,plugs..crack somewhere,,headgasket,,lifters,,plugged exhaust port,,plugged intake port,,rings....pull the plug and if looks good --check compression..if its low---check valve adjustment........flat cam???? new motor???

anthonycacace
09-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Pull the plug and look at it. Is it wet? Does it have any color to it? While you have the plug out, perform a compression test on the cylinder. This may tell you a mechanical versus electrical issue. Also, while the engine is running, do the valve covers breathe 'steam'? This would be another indication of potential mechanical issues and a fast easy check.

roybeckett13j
09-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Bet it is a plug or a wire.

Change that plug and wire with a new one, and see if it helps. If it does sound better...change all eight. Plugs and wires should become a maintenance item in racing, I change my plugs four times a season, new wires at the start and a new set halfway through. good insurance against one burning up mid race and causing a loss of power.