PDA

View Full Version : Perfect wheel weight

jr18
09-24-2011, 05:35 PM
If you could make your wheel weights be perfect what would it look like? With, lets say, 225lbs drive and make the car weight, lets say 2,400 lbs.
For a 3/8 mile track. You pick the banking, and how would you come up with the numbers?
The reason I ask, I think it would help if you had a target. If you know what your car weighs. Then I would think you could figure out what each wheel should be.
I know that each person's idea of perfect might be a little different and you have your reason for it.

Left front ????
Left Rear ????
Right front ????
Right Rear ????

Thanks
Jr18

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-24-2011, 06:31 PM
You need a dynamic perfect, not a static perfect.

An even load across the the rear, when coming off the corner, will give you the most traction. An expensive data acquistion system would allow you to determine the perfect scale weights and spring rates for your car to achieve this at a particular track on test day. Any change in the banking, car speed, etc will have you off the perfect setup once again.

There is no perfect.

Graff Spee
09-24-2011, 06:56 PM
If it were easy everyone would be doing it. Instead we are all chasing after the answer to your question.

hpmaster
09-24-2011, 10:00 PM
A guy who has won more races, over 500 feature wins, in many brands of chassis told me a few things I think are worth repeating, first "it's more important to have a car set up to match your driving style than the track you are driving on." and secondly "once you figure that out you shouldn't have to be changing very much from track to track." I will say he spent more time grinding on tires than anyone I have ever seen and he sure sold alot of yellow and red cars over the years. I guess what I am sayin is whats perfect for you may not be chit for anyone else.