PDA

View Full Version : Surreal Moments In Time & Space

croston71
09-30-2011, 06:02 AM
After reading another person's post I decided to list a few moments that protrude from my mind!
1. Watching Weasal Rhodes at KC- hooked up & hauling ass down the straights but with both front wheels heaven bound entering the turns!
2.Seeing Chargin Charlie Swartz at Eldora carrying a set of springs before the heats;
I had a flashback to a TV spot that featured A.J.Foyt when he explained the reasoning for stiffening the four corners of the car simultaneously.
3.Witnessing Charlie Jr.(I believe) loading & exiting Eldora after taking two low & slow laps. The announcer refered to him simply as Charlie!
4.Attending the 2000 DTWC with Harold Redman(Melvin Pullins car) & Harold exclaiming "Let Him Do Whatever He Wants!"--- We were pitted in front of Ronnie Johnson in a FAST RACE CAR-that did not make the show!
5.Tyler County Speedway with Jeff Burdette in an underweight leaf spring Swartz Chassis-no scales=track record>pretty much stuck from traveling any place else!
6.Watching Black Jack Boggs at KC Speedway set track record-around the bottom appeared the car was tied to a string!
7. Randy Boggs at WVMS coming from the tail 5 times as each time he reached the front a flag was thrown to dispute his position!
8.Kenny Compton Jr.(?) crewman at Tyler Mt. kart track tell me "It is the driver's job to hold the pedal down; my job to ensure the car goes around the track!"
9.Tim Marshall informing me of his method of scaling a kart.
10. A kart race at Pomeroy Fairgrounds where a genltleman spoke to me before the feature race(karts were going from 5" wheels to 6"wheels at the time.) I was on 5's & he was on 5's on the left & 6's on the right. I started several spots in front of him(for some reason I recalled Charlie Swartz) when he reached me, I recieved a gracious bump from the rear. I released the bottom lane & let him proceed!
11.Winning Miegs County Fair kart races consecutive years-1 year 5 second place karts disqualified for failing engine tech & another I was accused of illeagally switching carbs before tech-they could find only 1 carb cause I had only 1!
12. BACK TO THE FUTURE!:cool: